MS Product Manager Confirms WHS on MSDN RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all:
            This might have been listed elsewhere, but I did not find it.

CJ Saretto, Senior Program Manager, said that WHS will be included in MSDN "comming soon, in the comming weeks"

This was mentioned at PDC2008. See minute 62 of this video.

Anyone know when, exactly?

Cheers
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:08 AM

All replies

• We appologize for the delay.  We hit a couple snags along the way which we are working through.

I can't promise an exact date at this time, but we anticipate making Windows Home Server available to Subscribers in the near future. 

-CJ

Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Its been a month, could we have a update to when whs is coming on msdn?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:54 PM
  • metroserver said:

Its been a month, could we have a update to when whs is coming on msdn?

CJ Saretto said:

I can't promise an exact date at this time, but we anticipate making Windows Home Server available to Subscribers in the near future. 

There are a number of issues that have to be worked through in the process of getting something into MSDN. Microsoft is not in the habit of saying "next month" on something like this, because there is a lot of process in the way, and that will take as long as it takes to get through. So I would expect that it will still be "in the near future". 

It is a high priority with the WHS team, if that helps.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Hopefully they release a version with PP1 already slipstreamed in.

Also, I wonder if out of the box version will contain the drivers for the HP mediasmart servers. I have a feeling that they might have customized the installer to include drivers for there hardware. If anyone has any information regarding either question then please let me know. 

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Mike Ceranski said:

Also, I wonder if out of the box version will contain the drivers for the HP mediasmart servers. I have a feeling that they might have customized the installer to include drivers for there hardware. If anyone has any information regarding either question then please let me know. 

what should this part make for sense? Besides the fact, that Microsoft cannot deliver 3rd party programs via MSDN, everybody who would be in need of such a version has it already as OEM version with his hardware.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

metroserver said:

Its been a month, could we have a update to when whs is coming on msdn?

CJ Saretto said:

There are a number of issues that have to be worked through in the process of getting something into MSDN. Microsoft is not in the habit of saying "next month" on something like this, because there is a lot of process in the way, and that will take as long as it takes to get through. So I would expect that it will still be "in the near future". 

It is a high priority with the WHS team, if that helps.

No I wasn't saying that it should come out next month or  a specific date.  I just heard mid January so i just wanted to see if it was nearing its release. Thank you.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I am only talking about hardware drivers. I am not talking about the applications that come with the HP Mediaserver. I personally would rather have a vanilla install of WHS and remove all of the HP bloat from my home server. 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:42 PM
  • I'm certain that the version of Windows Home Server you will get in MSDN will, like other Microsoft products available in MSDN, not be different in any significant way from what you would get by buying a system builder package.

In particular, don't expect the drivers to be different. The drivers in the system builder package are from Windows Server 2003. It's a long and arduous process to make changes to the Windows Server 2003 installation package and get them certified for distribution.

So Mike, you will have to figure out the installation of vanilla WHS on the HP hardware on your own. BTW, if you decide to do that, you will also have to sort server reinstallation on your own; the server recovery process HP uses (over your network) will almost certainly not work. And you should not expect the same useful information (or any information at all) from the LEDs in the case; they are controlled by a service running under WHS.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Excellent advice Ken. You really know your stuff! Thanks.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:48 AM
  • CJ Saretto said:

We appologize for the delay.  We hit a couple snags along the way which we are working through.

-CJ

Windows Home Server Team

Common CJ, you got to give us a bit more than that.

I have VERY limited budget like many these days :(, so I got to make some decisions regarding where to spend my MS dollars.

Give us a ball park "potential" or "hypothetical" date. ;)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:04 AM
  • I heard on some website that they will give out serial keys for whs if you have a msdn subscription but you have to email them first.  I was wondering if there was any truth in that?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:21 PM
  • metroserver said:

I heard on some website that they will give out serial keys for whs if you have a msdn subscription but you have to email them first.  I was wondering if there was any truth in that?

Since MS has made no announcement other than it will be on MSDN at some point, I would consider anything you heard to be a rumor.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Its here!  WHS is on MSDN!!!
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Sweet... thanks for letting me know,,,, I just saw it then Igot your email alert.  Downloading ;-)
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:54 PM