Sata Controller Adaptec 1210sa RRS feed

• Question

•  

Alright,

I'm in process of building a box for a friend. He went and bought all the stuff and I said would put it together and set it up.

Anyway I'm having trouble with the sata Controller.  During the first GUI setup it says it cant find any host drives. So I load the driver for it. It seems take it blah blah.  When it get's to copying the files, it takes roughly 50 mins to do this part!!!!

Now, When the machine reboots and is in the dos mode of the setup. (aka where it says w2k3 sbs) it zooms though the loading files. when it says starting Windows the machine will blue screen. and a stop code of blah blah blah (=inassible boot device).  So i reboot it and hit f6 to load the driver again during the dos setup part.  ok so it starts copying the files and it get's up to 43% and hangs. NO errors no nothing. The machine FREEZES.  Ok. So i reboot it. boots up says keyboard not found and shuts down.  So i redo the whole damn thing again.  This time i get to 78% and it hangs.

So my question is,

IS this sata controller supported in windows 2003 or not? (even though it has Drivers and is Cert for w2k3)?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 6:32 AM

All replies

• First, the controller you're using isn't "certified" for Windows Server 2003. Adaptec may have a driver for it, but it's not on the Windows Server Catalog of Tested Products. There's a PATA version of the controller listed however.

Now, are you sure you're having trouble with the SATA controller, and not some other component? ("Keyboard not found" sounds like a motherboard issue.) Can you try connecting your drive to a connector on the motherboard, instead of the SATA controller? Is the drive a SATA II drive, and the controller a SATA I controller? (There are differences, and some SATA II drives won't work on a SATA I controller without configuring them specifically for that use). Have you tried a different cable?
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Also, check the BIOS to ensure that the motherboard continues to boot, even if there is no video/keyboard etc. (it will need it anyway, when it's finally set up). Another point, I though the 12SA is a Raid card? If so, you would be better seeing if you can install it as a card with two separate disks.

Colin

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:57 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Also, check the BIOS to ensure that the motherboard continues to boot, even if there is no video/keyboard etc. (it will need it anyway, when it's finally set up). Another point, I though the 12SA is a Raid card? If so, you would be better seeing if you can install it as a card with two separate disks.

Colin

Almost all SATA controllers that are available now are actually RAID controlloers but they often have non-RAID drivers that you can install.  You will likely want to install the non-RAID.

I had a similar problem trying to do a reinstall of my WHS system.  I could not get setup to recognize my SATA card which uses a Silicon Image 3512 chipset.  I bought a new SATA card - a Promise and it worked as I was able to install the drivers for this as part of the beginning of the install.  The funny thing is that once the OS was up and running I had no problem installing the Silicon Image card from the same drivers that didn't work in the install process.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:41 PM
  • It could be a # of different issues. I'm going to try a different box and see what happens. The drives that are being used are old Sata drives. So I dont think that is the issue.  And of couse I'm not using raid on the sata controller!!!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:42 PM