putting back up files on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I had a (2002) compac computer running windows xp home edition. I downloaded windows one live care and backed up my computer using cd's. As it turned out after doing a manufacturer complete restore I was still having a problem with computer. I tried everything and I finally gave up and bought a new computer. I now have a brand new HP running windows  Vista. I think that I saved all my pic's on a disc but not absolutely sure I got them all. I don't have One care on my new computer and I don't want to download everything that was backed up on the cd's. Is there a way to just search the cd's and select what I want? Do I have to download Windows one live care to get what I want off the cd's? Before I got this computer I tried to see what was on the cd's and all 17 of them showed the same thing with no specifics. I was also using the trail version  of  Windows One live .

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:52 PM

Answers

• You can install the trial of OneCare and perform a restore, selecting just those files or file types you wish to restore. Then uninstall OneCare when you are done.

Alternatively, use WinZip or a similar program to open the .zip files (not Windows Explorer) to extract those files you want manually.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• You can install the trial of OneCare and perform a restore, selecting just those files or file types you wish to restore. Then uninstall OneCare when you are done.

Alternatively, use WinZip or a similar program to open the .zip files (not Windows Explorer) to extract those files you want manually.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:47 AM
  • How do I get winzip?

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:34 AM
  • www.winzip.com for a trial or purchase. There are also other 3rd party compression programs that will work - both free and shareware products.

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:04 PM