Server 2008 Recover Wizard to Recover Windows Home Server Vail Backups RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so as you all know VAIL has either expired or expiring and I THOUGHT I would just be able to install Server 2008 Std and recover my files onto that for now. The backup was created successfully (So said VAIL) this morning and now tonight when I try to recover them using the Recovery Wizard all the volumes that held the user data like movies/documents/music/etc. are say "Unable to browse _____. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". My guess is because of the way vail backed up the data or something like that so please help as I have a lot of stuff on here that is ONLY on a storage pool of old VAIL install.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:39 AM

Answers

• So this is what I am doing to recover the data. 

1. Unplug any network cables so it cant access the internet to pull updates, that will give you 3 days to get the job done.
    2. Reinstall VAIL (What I call FAIL now) 
    3. Go to the recovery console within VAIL

VAIL reads the data from your backup just fine. The only thing you will have to worry about is if your data does not fit on one hard drive or RAID setup because you will no longer have the drive pooling option once you uninstall FAIL and install its replacement.

• Marked as answer by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:22 AM
  • So this is what I am doing to recover the data. 

1. Unplug any network cables so it cant access the internet to pull updates, that will give you 3 days to get the job done.
    2. Reinstall VAIL (What I call FAIL now) 
    3. Go to the recovery console within VAIL

VAIL reads the data from your backup just fine. The only thing you will have to worry about is if your data does not fit on one hard drive or RAID setup because you will no longer have the drive pooling option once you uninstall FAIL and install its replacement.

• Marked as answer by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Good to hear that recovery was successful for you within VAIL! That gives me a little bit of hope that I haven't lost my data. Looks like I will be doing the same thing.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Backup should, I think, be able to read the Vail backups. I doubt that Windows Server 2008 (not R2) can.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Thanks Ken, you are correct. I was using Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Backup to recover my backups from Vail and it did read it correctly. But I ran into an issue where Vail was reporting each volume to be bigger than it really was and this caused the recover tool to say there wasn't enough space in the destination volume.

Sorry don't know the right words to describe but this is what I had.

Vail hardware has two 1.5TB drives. Each folder/drive i.e. Music, Docs, Photos were showing up as being almost 3TB in size. So when I tried to restore in Server 2008R2 it said the destination volume/folder wasn't big enough.

But a good point for those with extra hardware and a vail install with small drives, it looks like you could use Server 2008R2 to restore your backup provided the destination drives are bigger than what was being reported in Vail.

Shane - Family Tech Support Geek - I don't know enough to be paid to do it, but I know enough to be dangerous.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:49 PM