URL Masking / Redirect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a web application, in which the URL needs to be masked / Hidden.

To be in better words,

Home Page : www.someexampleurl.com/default.aspx

login Page : www.someexampleurl.com/login.aspx

I need all the redirection should show the URL as "www.someexampleurl.com"

Since It is hosted in a shared hosting server, I cant go for server IIS changes. I need to do this from my codings.

Thanks,

• Moved by Mike Dos Zhang Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:00 AM asp.net topic (From:Visual C# Language)
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there.

The technique you want to use is called URL rewriting. Normally this would be easiest to implement in the IIs Manager, especially with the URL rewrite module. Since that is not an option for you, you can take a look at what you can do in ASP.NET code. Here's an article that describe those ASP.NET Re-writing options.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:33 AM
  • A Frame?
    • Marked as answer by Sundaram S Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:15 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posts.

This a critical hosting experience I have. The domain www.abc.com" is from some X Server.

Now the space is in Y server. Y server is associated with more than 12 domains and all those domain are brought and registered in this server itself.

What I can do is, I can change the name server of X to Y and can create a separate IIS for this to run and point the "www.abc.com" domain.

While doing so, the first page URL is seems perfect (www.abc.com) and while navigating to subsequent pages, it is showing as

www.Yserverdomain.com/req-page.aspx.

Actually this should be, www.abc.com/req-page.aspx.

Thats why I am looking for URL masking.

Thanks

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

The overall goal being ? Is this because you are transmitting something sensitive as part of the URL ?

As suggested by others URL rewriting allows to show a user friendly URL or an FRAME would allow to hide (but it will be still visible by knowledgable user).

But the basic principle is still that if what is shown is not the same page then you should have distinct urls for these pages.

You could use a session variable to make them appear to be the same url but IMO it will more harmfull than usefull.

You may want to explain your overall goal in doing so...

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posts.

This a critical hosting experience I have. The domain www.abc.com" is from some X Server.

Now the space is in Y server. Y server is associated with more than 12 domains and all those domain are brought and registered in this server itself.

What I can do is, I can change the name server of X to Y and can create a separate IIS for this to run and point the "www.abc.com" domain.

While doing so, the first page URL is seems perfect (www.abc.com) and while navigating to subsequent pages, it is showing as

www.Yserverdomain.com/req-page.aspx.

Actually this should be, www.abc.com/req-page.aspx.

Thats why I am looking for URL masking.

Thanks

Hi there.

It's a little bit unclear what you want to accomplish by this URL-rewriting. It seems to me that you want to hide the fact that your end server is using a hosted web server that is shared with others? And you want to hide the fact that this is the case?  If this is the issue, I would recommend you to go for a dedicated VPS solution with an dedicated IP address for this end point server.

Regards,

Magnus

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Hi Magnus,

Thanks for your reply,

I know I can easily get it work in Dedicated servers. But I have already mentioned that I need to get this done in shared server. Since client owns space there and he wants to work there itself.

-

Yes. I want to hide the fact that end server is using a hosted web server that is shared with others.

Thanks

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Hi Magnus,

Thanks for your reply,

I know I can easily get it work in Dedicated servers. But I have already mentioned that I need to get this done in shared server. Since client owns space there and he wants to work there itself.

-

Yes. I want to hide the fact that end server is using a hosted web server that is shared with others.

Thanks

Well, if you want to expose this end point server's web pages such as they are, to the users web browser, you really haven't got so many ways to cloak this. This cloaking would easily be discovered by any kind of network sniffer such as Wire Shark, Microsoft Network Monitor etc., and web browser plugins such as Fiddler. 

If this end point server functionality can be called from a Web Server/JSon/OData, or some other API friendly way, you can use that technology and use your front end web server as a proxy to hide the web server being used in the end.

Regards,

Magnus

Monday, September 6, 2010 12:28 PM
  • It looks like you would like to have your own domain name and making your hosted sites available using this domain name...

I believe you have some solutions to register your own domain name and making it points to your an hosting site so that your site can be accessed as mydomain.com/subsite rather than myhostingprovider.com/subsite. It could perhaps depend on your hoster.

This is not related to programming. I would suggest an internet admin group or something like dns "shared hosting" in Google ar at least an ASP.NET forum (www.asp.net) rather than a C# forum.

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".
    Monday, September 6, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi Sundaram S,

It's likely to get quicker and better responses to ASP.NET issues at http://forums.asp.net where ASP.NET experts live in.

Post to the right forum will help you solve questions quicker and better.

Have a nice day!

Mike

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:00 AM
  • A Frame?
    Thanks for the idea. I have tried this and it works fine. But NOT EXACTLY, what I wanted.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Thanks Mike. But IFrame partially clears the issue.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Hi Sundaram S,

I’m glad to hear that your question has been solved. If you have any difficulty in future programming, welcome back. Here are many enthusiastic community members to offer their help and suggestions.

Best wishes,

Mike

Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:16 PM