Remote Connection Times Out RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up remote access but I still have an issue with logging on to my server or any of the other XP Pro PC’s on my system externally. Internally, I can log in and access my PC's and Server with no problem. Externally, the connection times out, yet I am able to access the shared folders and able to upload and download. I am using a Netgear WPNT 834 router and have ports 80, 443, 4125, forwarding to the server. I have installed the recent update for WHS and still the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:37 PM

Answers

• After using CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool, I checked all 3 ports that I was forwarding; 80, 443, 4125. To my demise, it appears that my ISP is blocking internet traffic through port 4125. Looks like I’m out of luck, unless someone has a work-a-round.

Error: I could not see your service on xxx.xx.xx.xxx on port (4125)
    Reason:
     Connection refused

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:31 PM

All replies

• Steve,

At what point does it time out? Is it after a period, if so, you could be running into the default, ASP.Net on the WHS web site is configured for a 20 minute timeout.

If it's immediate, there has been discussions that the port forwarding isn't set up correctly, usually port 443. Also, check your firewall rules on the Server, maybe it is blocking one of the ports.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:13 PM
  • It times out after 20 seconds trying to log in to the server or the pc. Port forwarding is setup correctly from what I can tell and the firewall on the server is allowing the required ports. I have read many discussions on this issue and cannot figure it out. I may have to buy a new router.

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:48 AM
  • Hi Steve, I have the same problem. Internally is fine, externally I get Connection Timed Out when trying to remote access pc's (XPSP2 and Vista) and the console. Funny thing is, this used to work. Not sure what might have changed. All other aspects of remoting is fine, accessing share folders, viewing websites, transferring files etc. So I'm no help, but you're not alone!

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:54 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I ran into what might to be the same problem, everything worked but remote access. The problem for me turned out to be my Netgear wireless router. My server changed IP (I know  should have statically assigned the IP, but I didn't and had a power failure and everything got reassigned different IPs) and the router just wouldn't let go of the forwarding of port 4125 to the old IP. I turned off UPNP and re-enabled it and let WHS reconfigure the router... and it said it was OK, but it wasn't working. The clue was that if I turned off UPNP and tried to manually configure the forwarding it said the port was already being forwarded, which at this point it shouldn't have been.

Long story short. I reset the router and set it up again and everything went perfect. Like you I only had problems with RDP.. web access and file sharing was fine.

Hope this helps,

John G

Monday, December 3, 2007 4:16 AM
  • After using CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool, I checked all 3 ports that I was forwarding; 80, 443, 4125. To my demise, it appears that my ISP is blocking internet traffic through port 4125. Looks like I’m out of luck, unless someone has a work-a-round.

Error: I could not see your service on xxx.xx.xx.xxx on port (4125)
    Reason:
     Connection refused

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Well, it's now working. I have access to my server and all of my pc's from my daughters house. I guess my email to my ISP worked and they opened the port for me?

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:18 AM