How long to convert from Money 2003 to the Sunset edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Looks like my old copy of Money won't run on Win 7 after the recent service pack, so I'm trying to restore it into the Sunset edition.  Trouble is that the "Working" box has been up for half an hour at least.  Should I leave it running all weekend or give in and buy
    Quicken?
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:07 AM

Answers

• What was your symptom with Money 2003 on Win 7 SP1? Setting IE8 to defaults might have cured your problem.

Is your Money 2003 from the US? You would need that usually to convert to Sunset. During this process, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us  may provide what you need. Use the Money 2004 trial as an intermediate step on the way to Money Plus Sunset.

"Working box"? Are you contrasting that with your other computer that does not work?

Buying Quicken would not help your immediate situation. It uses a working copy of Money 2007 or Money Plus (including Sunset) do do the conversion.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:57 AM

All replies

• What was your symptom with Money 2003 on Win 7 SP1? Setting IE8 to defaults might have cured your problem.

Is your Money 2003 from the US? You would need that usually to convert to Sunset. During this process, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us  may provide what you need. Use the Money 2004 trial as an intermediate step on the way to Money Plus Sunset.

"Working box"? Are you contrasting that with your other computer that does not work?

Buying Quicken would not help your immediate situation. It uses a working copy of Money 2007 or Money Plus (including Sunset) do do the conversion.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Symptoms were first that it didn't recognise my password, then I tried the Troubleshoot Compatability option and that suggested XP SP2 but then said it wasn't compatable.

As for running IE8 with defaults?  Not sure how that comes into it.  Why would a browser setting matter?

Anyway, the "Working" box is the dialogue that comes up when Sunset tries to convert the file.  But it did end, in a manner - an alert saying "A communication error occurred.  Please try your call again.  If you continue to have problems call your financial institutions Online Services Customer Support"

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Is your Money 2003 from the US?
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:15 AM
  • yep.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:19 AM
  • I suspect you have a Passport on your Money 2003 file (email address plus a password). Disconnecting from the internet while trying to sign in, at least initially, might have gotten you in OK.

With Money Plus, you could remove that Passport/LiveID. Getting the Passport off of your file is a good objective.  Use the intermediate Money 2004 or 2005 trial to facilitate that as described in the knowledge base article. You might be better off attempting the conversions (2004/2005 trial and then Plus) after disconnecting from the internet. Download the trial version before disconnecting from the Internet, of course.I now doubt that your problem was solvable with IE settings. However Money uses IE to do a lot of stuff, so there is a lot of interaction.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Nope, never used the passport side of it.  Downloaded the 2004 trial, changed the system date, and now seeing whether that will convert the file.  Though that seems to be making no progress.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Left that running over night and it did finish, it must have taken at least two hours.  Now to go onto the next step of the chain.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Well, finally got it to work - thanks for the links Cal.

The solution was to make sure I'd got the data files backed up, install the trial version of 2004 (which uninstalled 2003), changed the system date to late 2004 so it could run, let it convert the data, install the home version of Sunset (which uninstalled 2004), and let that convert the data.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:15 PM