Windows Home Server Dashboard, Server Folders and Hard Drives, Hard Drive (tab) only see Hard Drive C and D and then below in Server Backup F Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning
    Could you possibly provide some guidance please?
    When in Windows Home Server Dashboard, Server Folders and Hard Drives, Hard Drive (tab) I only see the following disk information:
    Hard Drive
    C (60GB / 16GB / 44GB)
    D (871.4GB / 123.1GB / 748GB)
    Server Backup
    F (931.5GB / 128.9GB / 802GB)
    My first question: (I have two internal 1TB Hard Drives), should Hard Drive F also be listed under the Hard Drive list (instead of just showing C and D)?
    My second question: I understand that the Client Computer backups are being stored in the D Drive (I assume this is correct). So for the Server Backups (F Drive) does this store all server data including the client computer data that is being backed up the D Drive (so the data is being backed up on both drives D and F) if does not what is being stored on the F Drive during the Server Backups?
    I sincerely hope these questions makes sense and thank you in advance for your help.
    Stephen
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• Stephen

Something wrong here! Only drives allocated to server storage are given a drive letter. Drives allocated to Server backup are not given a letter but should show in the Dashboard, Hard Drives tab under Server Storage.

All data storage, including Client Computer backups, will initially be on the D: drive after initial installation. You can use the Dashboard, Server Folders and run the Move Folder Wizard to locate them on any of your other storage drives.

Server backups back up whatever data you want including Client Computer backups, data and the server itself and is defined by you when you set up the Server Backup using the Wizard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:32 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Being new to WHS 2011, I'm having a hard time understanding basic concepts. Your reply above is helpful but I would like to see more details.

The following is my setup. I have 7 hard drives, the system drive and six others (for backup storage).

Under Server Folders and Hard Drives:

Hard Drives

(C:)   (disk 0 - partition 2 - 60gb)

(H:)   (disk 0 - partition 3 - 405gb)

(F:)   (disk 1 -1TB)

(E:)   (disk 2 -1TB)

(G:)   (disk 3 -1TB)

(D:)   (disk 4 -1TB)

Server backup

Server_Backup (two 1TB disks -RAID level 1 - Mirror)

When I setup the Server Backup, I did not include client backups.

I have the following questions:

1) Can I direct client backups to a specific drive (or drives)? Or will the Server put the backups on any one of C, H, F, E, G, or D?

2) How can I designate which drives are available for client backups? I know you can do this for for the Server.

3) Is the fact that a drive is listed under Hard Drives imply that it's available for client backup? (I would rather not have backups on C or H.)

4) Does each individual client do its own backup or is it the server?

5) Under Customize Server Backup/Select which items to backup the first item is System Backup (recommended). What exactly doe this refer to, a server folder, or maybe the C: drive? What?

These questions may seen trival to many of you familiar with WHS 2011 but for a newbie, I can't, for the life of me, find the answers.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Hmm - you have some very strange drive letters there - after an install C: & D: reside on the first disk - have you changed drive letters and how?

Not sure why you are bothering with a RAID for server backup - you would be better using the two drives as individual backup drives and taking one off site to mitigate against fire, flood etc.

As for your questions:

1. Client backups are located on the drive you specify in the Dashboard (Server Folders & Hard Drives, Server Folders).
    2. As above for client backups. When you set up Server backup you are asked where you want it to be.
    3. As above - you specify the location.
    4. When you install the Connector software on each client you specify the backup parameters including whether the client wakes up to be backed up.
    5. System backup backs up the Server itself.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:36 PM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:35 PM
  • I have installed & reinstalled a few times, the drive letters are a bit strange. The H drive should be the D drive, I suppose. It's on disk 0 as I have indicated so functionally it's the same as a D drive.

I guess I still don't get it. Your answer to #1: "Client backups are located on the drive you specify" ... I did not specify anything. The server Folders were set up for me.

I don't recall ever being given the opportunity to specify the location. Every folder Under Server Folders has the location H:\ (drive C:\ to you).

In addition, I have four 1TB drives I would like to use for client backups, how do I set that up. I realize that I can move folders, but to where when I have four backup drives.

You mention that when I install the connector software I specify the backup paramaters. There were no parameters to specify backup location, unless I missed it.

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:27 AM
  • As Phil said your drive mappings are a bit strange.

In the dashboard the default location for all of the default WHS shares is D drive. Your backup's will, by default, be put in the client backup folder on D drive. The locations of the various shares can be moved by right clicking on the share and selecting which disk to move to. Depending on the amount of data this can take a bit of time. All of the client backup are stored in a database that uses single instance storage to reduce the space used. Between multiple machines there will be a lot of data in common which is only stored once rather than seperatly for each machine.

The server backup process via the dashboard is pretty crippled and basic, you can only specify a single destination for backup. It is possible to use the backup software on the server 2008 r2 base OS to give you more versatility. I have never worried about doing this but it is an option.

You can specify an internal drive to be the backup drive but this really defeats the purpose in many respects. Typically you would use an external USB drive so you can take the copy of the backup to a save location. If your server should go up in smoke there a good potential to loose your backups along with the server otherwise.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Monday, October 24, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. My problem all along was a misunderstanding of Server Storage, Server backup & Client Backup. Simple concepts really, (when I took the time to learn them!). Your answer above makes a lot more sense to me now.

I took Phil's advice and replaced the two RAID 1 (mirror) drives with a 2TB external hard drive. I now have five internal hard drives and one external server backup drive.

I do have a question about 'rotating' server backup drives. How do I introduce a second external drive to be used as Server Backup? Also, how does the actual swapping in & out take place? I'm assuming it's not so simple as unplugging one drive & plugging in the other. Should both of them be plugged in at the same time?

One more thing, both you & Phil seem concerned about my drive mappings. But when I started again from scratch, I ended up with basically the same mappings as before. The second partition on Disk 0 had the drive letter H. After some library research I came up with the statement below (exact quotation) from the book: Windows Home Server 2011 Unleashed.

It describes what happens when you install WHS 2011 on a system with two (or more) drives: see page 102

"In this scenario, Windows Home Server does a slightly odd thing. As with a single-drive install, Windows Home Server divides one hard drive into two unnamed partitions: one for the Windows Home Server system files, which is seen as drive C: in the computer folder and another for the data which this time is seen as drive E: in the computer folder. The extra drive is formatted with a single partition and assigned drive D:."

In my case, with five drives, the drive letter of the data partition on drive 0, gets bumped all the way down to H.

Many thanks to both you and Phil for answering my questions and for your patience with a newbie.

• Edited by marikaj Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Interesting - I have only ever installed with a single disk and added others later so all my shares were initially on D:

As for swapping drives, switch off server backups in the Dashboard and remove the backup disk (I always power down my server first). Then connect your second disk and set up server backups again - if the disk contains old backups you will be asked if you want to keep or delete them. You can have both drives connected at the same time but that defeats the object of rotation and WHS will only write to one of them.

• Proposed as answer by marikaj Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Thanx Phil, just what I needed to know.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:45 PM