tune up freeze RRS feed

• Question

• why does the tune up always freeze when doing the virus scan at 84%, I can do the scan manually but that doesn't count towards the tune up

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• I recommend contacting support for help with this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Have you let it sit at 84% to see if it proceeds? It used to be that a hang at 90% meant that it was hung up on taking actions on malware found and logging/reporting this, but it would start zipping along to 100% after a very long hang at 90%.

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Yes, I let it sit for close to 48 hours with it changing. The I do have a external hard drive that I back up to but I disconnect it when it is not being used. I do not like the fact that every thing has to be done together I would rather have the option of running them by themselves.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • You can configure backup to run on its own schedule. You can also exclude the external drive from being scanned, if OneCare is scanning the external drive for malware and causing the excessive amount if time for a Tune-up. Change Settings, Virus and Spyware tab, Exclusions button, add the external drive letter to the list and it won't be scanned.

Change Settings, backup tab, change settings, select your PC, select When and change the schedule to run apart from Tune-up.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Back up has been turned off

the external drive is disconnected

I can run all the scans by themselves and it works fine

my problem is the monthly tune up stops at 84% every time(I have let it sit for 2 days with nothing else running), will not proceed and slows down everything and restarts no matter what I do everytime I start my computer. With it running it takes 5 minutes or more to open my e-mail, when its is not running maybe 30 seconds. We need to be able to run the scans by themself and get rid of the tune up!!! I do not want some dam program that is supposed to help taking over my computer.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I understand your frustration, but there is clearly a problem on your PC as a tune-up should typically take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. It will degrade performance when running. It is best run overnight or at a time when you won't be using the PC for something else. On an older PC or one with the min system requirements for OneCare, the PC can be useless while it is running.

I strongly suggest that you contact support for help in determining why Tune-up is failing to complete and why it is impacting your PCs performance so significantly.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:19 PM