Server backup fails to back up system drive RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 Server backup works backing up the two hard drivers containing the server folders but fails with a "failure to take a snapshot" (or something similar) if the C and D drives are included. There is currently about 700 GB on the two drives (2 TB each) holding the shared folders and client backups which is backing up on to an external 2 TB drive. The C and D drives are on a single 96 GB SSD with about 40 GB on C (17 GB used) and 49 GB on D, all empty. The machine has 8 GB of RAM and no page file set up. Setting the server backup to backup only the C and D (no server folders) also fails. The alert message is less than useful to try and figure out what is going on.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have an idea why this is failing and what should be done?

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:20 PM

All replies

• Do you know how the C: Drive got to be 40GB as the standard size is 60GB? Did you resize the partition after installation?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:33 PM
  • WHS 2011 Server backup works backing up the two hard drivers containing the server folders but fails with a "failure to take a snapshot" (or something similar) if the C and D drives are included. There is currently about 700 GB on the two drives (2 TB each) holding the shared folders and client backups which is backing up on to an external 2 TB drive. The C and D drives are on a single 96 GB SSD with about 40 GB on C (17 GB used) and 49 GB on D, all empty. The machine has 8 GB of RAM and no page file set up. Setting the server backup to backup only the C and D (no server folders) also fails. The alert message is less than useful to try and figure out what is going on.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have an idea why this is failing and what should be done?

Thanks.

Why is there no page file? Did you disable the page file in Windows? What happens if you allow Windows to manage the page file itself, instead of disabling it?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:39 PM
  • WHS 2011 wouldn't install with a drive less than 160 GB so I installed it to a larger drive (1 TB) than the SSD (96 GB) and then used an imaging program to transfer the image of the C and D drives to the SSD. Drive C was using under 20 GB so I split the SSD drive giving about 40 GB for C and 49 GB for D. So in that sense, I resized the partitions. I guess that I can resize the C to over 60 GB if that would help since I am not using the D drive for anything. Is there a known problem doing this? Everything seems to be working fine at this time.

Thanks for your response.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:59 PM
  • As I am using a SSD drive for the system I thought that a paging file on the C drive could cause problems with the SSD and wear leveling. Also, since I had plenty (8 GB) of RAM, I thought that this would eliminate the need for a paging file. Perhaps I am wrong, but when I went back and enabled a paging file, it made no difference to the backup of the system drive. It still failed.

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Microsoft specifies 160GB for a reason (not exactly sure what that is) so I suspect what you have done is the cause of the problem - there have been various problems reported using imaging software. I don't really see the need for an SSD in a Windows Home Server. You might be better off with a reinstall on a normal Hard Disk and not play with the Page File.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I mainly wanted to use a SSD to save on power since the system is up 24/7 and for its reliability. In idle, the system runs at about 35-38 watts using an i3 CPU and a couple of low power 5400 RPM Samsung 2TB drives. It is more of an exercise in seeing what can be accomplished than a necessity. Going back to a standard drive adds about 8 watts, not much absolutely, but about 20% more on a percentage basis. It is just puzzling why it cannot be made to work correctly. Then again, since I can backup the data successfully, I would only have to make an image of the system drive every so often to be able to recover from a failure since the system drive doesn't change that frequently. In any event, since the SSD should be much more reliable than a mechanical drive I wouldn't have to worry as much about a drive failure.

Mike
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Understood - how about a 160GB SSD? Then you would not have to worry about using imaging software which may or not work successfully.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:56 PM
  • The main reason was cost. :) Newegg had a good deal on these 96 GB SSD after a rebate. The price was too high for any larger SSD (at this time) and since I noticed that the space used by the system was under 20 GB, I thought that 96 GB would be enough...until I tired to install.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Just found the following for another thread in the forum. From your description it probably explains a bit of what is happening with the reduced partition size. It's possibly the reason that 60GB was picked as the default OS partition.

From another forum

"when you start to backup from systemstate ,first system create a volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and boot partition .

this error appear when system try to create volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and free space of this partition is low ."

for repair this problem following this instruction :

type "compmgmt.msc" in run or open computer managment

1- go to storage --> disk managment

2- right click on system reserved partition and click properties

3- go to shadow copies tab and then click setting

4- change " located on this volume" to another partition

5- now , start backup systemstate agian.

The info is as copied from the other location. May or not be of help.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Dave:

Thanks for the suggestion. I moved the location to one of the other drives with lots of free space. Unfortunately, this did not seem to make a difference. It still gave me the "backup was unsuccessful because a snapshot could not be taken" error message.

Mike

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:21 PM