Offline files RRS feed

• Question

• I tried today to use the offline files feature of XP to be able to work both on- and offline with files I'm storing on WHS. Everything works fine until I want to reconnect and synchronize. I then get an error message with all the files that have been modified listed as "Offline files (\\path to drive): Access to 'filename' is denied on '\\path to folder'". The system behaves as if the files are write-protected. How do I get rid of this?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf,
    I did register and validated this suggestion. Would be good if more of us did.
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Monday, February 23, 2009 9:00 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:12 AM

All replies

• Does the user on your local computer match a user with appropriate permissions on your server? It sounds like you're accessing the server using the Guest account.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Good question, but I think I'm accessing the server with my own account. The guest account is disabled and I've given myself full access. On the other hand, I haven't been asked for a password when I've reconnected. Am I missing a step here?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:04 PM
  • I feel like an idiot, but I still can't get around this issue. I'm still in 'offline mode' with these files and every time I try to synchronize, I get the same error message (above). From time to time I get a little warning call-out saying "Offline files - Need to synchronize", but when I go through the procedure, I only end up with the error message again. Everything else, backups and all, seem to work fine. I can open and save files on the server. Am I missing something, or is it that WHS doesn't support offline files??
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi,
    seems WHS does not support offline files well. Please check this thread for more information.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:17 AM
  • I've tried to use offline files with the WHS and a Vista laptop. I've tried small tests with test folders and files to see if it worked ok before doing it with "the real thing."

Bottom line: It just didn't work. :-(

Of course, I had Vista, and you're using XP. However, the Vista version is supposedly "improved" over the XP. Thus, if it doesn't work with Vista, don't expect it to work with XP.

I would LOVE to have it work with WHS, but it just messes up. This is the only disappointment I have with the WHS.

So what I do to work around this is have my offline folders and files "hosted" on an XP Pro box, and the laptop is synced with those. Then, I use Sync Toy to keep a copy on the WHS as a backup, "just in case" something goes wrong.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:19 AM
  • What a bummer if offline files are not supported by WHS. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case in the future?
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi,
    Ray-D-Oh said:

What a bummer if offline files are not supported by WHS. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case in the future?

sorry can't tell that. Seems some Windows Server 2003 components and applications are not really happy working together with the tombstone concept of WHS.
    Maybe a future version of Windows Home Server will bring improvements. A workaround currently seems to be to copy the files from offline folders to some other location, open and edit it there and copy them back later. (This was only mentioned for Office files, which could not be opened in the offline folder at all.)

If you want, you should register at Microsoft Connect and issue a suggestion or validate this one.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    I did register and validated this suggestion. Would be good if more of us did.
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Monday, February 23, 2009 9:00 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:12 AM