HP Server EX470 Headache RRS feed

• General discussion

•  When I spent 1 month of 8 hour days loading data files and picture and video material, I LOST ALL OF IT, because the software upgrades to the server were not able to download through my wifi-connectivity to another person's router.  When I tried to remove the hard drive within the windows console it would not perform this task and so I chose to exchange all of the Hard Drives to this server. 

Microsoft needs to be willing to place these kinds of updates in a more downloadable location when firewalls might prevent the automatic download function.  I was able to get other kinds of software upgrades, just not the upgrade to this server's software.  As some else stated, the server is like a computer without a head, and that was exactly how I felt as I was trying to save all the time spent with this HP EX470 MediaSmart Server.  Before I left the store from which I purchased the additional hard drives, I asked if any data had been saved on the hard drives, and they said, NO.  The subdirectories were still on the hard drives but all the data in the subdirectories was erased.
    • Edited by RWright617 Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:38 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:19 AM

All replies

• RWright617 said:

When I spent 1 month of 8 hour days loading data files and picture and video material, I LOST ALL OF IT, because the software upgrades to the server were not able to download through my wifi-connectivity to another person's router.  When I tried to remove the hard drive within the windows console it would not perform this task and so I chose to exchange all of the Hard Drives to this server. 

Microsoft needs to be willing to place these kinds of updates in a more downloadable location when firewalls might prevent the automatic download function.  I was able to get other kinds of software upgrades, just not the upgrade to this server's software.  As some else stated, the server is like a computer without a head, and that was exactly how I felt as I was trying to save all the time spent with this HP EX470 MediaSmart Server.  Before I left the store from which I purchased the additional hard drives, I asked if any data had been save on the hard drives, and they said, NO.  The subdirectories were still on the hard drives but all the data in the subdirectories was erased.

Sorry to hear you lost data!!

Windows Home Server requires wired connection to local LAN You can find this in the getting started guide. More support links overhere. If you need to connect to the internet using wireless you could use another system to make the connection and then share the internet connection. Also most of the updates can be downloaded, at least if you know what you need.

It's highly unlikely all data has been erased. In most cases you should be able to recover your data, even after problems you describe. Even if the data have been erased there are multiple ways to recover. Actually it's very very difficult to remove data from a hard disk in such a way the data can not be recovered. Even formatting a disk will not do that. 

If you ever have problems again please contact HP support, or post overhere.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:49 AM