WHS using unnecessary bandwidth RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with my WHS using up valuable bandwidth. I been looking at the logs provided by my service provider and found continuous bandwidth usage even when there should be no activity. We run a small business and usage over weekends should be nothing yet there is always something going on. The bandwidth is not much but it is continuous and becoming a nuisance since I do not have extensive bandwidth available. 

I have run wireshark to check and see if I can find any suspicious traffic. This shows that the WHS server machine is in continuous contact with an ip of 65.55.7.141 which, when typed into a browser, turns out to be a microsoft customer experience improvement program website. 

Is this traffic necessary? Is there any way in which I can stop this traffic or at least limit the traffic?

Thanks

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• How would it otherwise be able to tell the (IP address) of the whs domain XXXX.homeserver.com is still alive?

Is there any way in which I can stop this traffic or at least limit the traffic?
    usage over weekends should be nothing

Unplug or better turn it down during the weekend. Saves even more.

"grhartwig" wrote in message news:258491fc-389b-4de3-8549-652c0caa6c88@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

I have a problem with my WHS using up valuable bandwidth. I been looking at the logs provided by my service provider and found continuous bandwidth usage even when there should be no activity. We run a small business and usage over weekends should be nothing yet there is always something going on. The bandwidth is not much but it is continuous and becoming a nuisance since I do not have extensive bandwidth available.

I have run wireshark to check and see if I can find any suspicious traffic. This shows that the WHS server machine is in continuous contact with an ip of 65.55.7.141 which, when typed into a browser, turns out to be a microsoft customer experience improvement program website.

Is this traffic necessary? Is there any way in which I can stop this traffic or at least limit the traffic?

Thanks

Have a nice day!
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi there.

I would doubt that the Customer Experience Improvement Program wold cause that much traffic. In case, you can disable the CEIP in Settings->General.

However, I would guess that it could be clients connecting remotely, downloading/uploading files. Could this be the case?

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:03 AM
  • I have run wireshark to check and see if I can find any suspicious traffic. This shows that the WHS server machine is in continuous contact with an ip of 65.55.7.141 which, when typed into a browser, turns out to be a microsoft customer experience improvement program website. 

Hi,
    You are correct. WHS is sending valuable non-private data to for the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. Best to not wurry about this and leave it on if you like. I think the amount of data sent will settle down to something moderate once the server is doing its day-to-day tasks.

If you do want to stop contributing, just select the setting menu from the WHS console. From the "General" tab, de-select "Help make Windows Home Server better. Sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program".

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:11 PM