WHS re-installed. Can I use old backups? RRS feed

• Question

• My acer whs wasn't booting correctly any more and I had sent it in to be repaired. Now I have a new installation of whs and have to configure everything from scratch as the old settings were gone and now backups or pcs recognized.
    I have set up everything now and would like to use the old backup files *.dat. Is that possible or are all old backups useless now?
    Thanks
    Toby
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:54 PM

Answers

• My acer whs wasn't booting correctly any more and I had sent it in to be repaired. Now I have a new installation of whs and have to configure everything from scratch as the old settings were gone and now backups or pcs recognized.
    I have set up everything now and would like to use the old backup files *.dat. Is that possible or are all old backups useless now?
    Thanks
    Toby
    You should be able to use your old backups.  However, you'll have to re-connect your clients to your server first.  You can do that by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe.  Once you've done that (and copied your backup database back to your server by following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief), it should work.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

Thanks
    Toby
    You should be able to use your old backups.  However, you'll have to re-connect your clients to your server first.  You can do that by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe.  Once you've done that (and copied your backup database back to your server by following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief), it should work.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Great, thanks a lot!!!
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:22 PM