Windows Live Hotmail gadget broken on My.Live.com (again!) RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone out there encountering a persistent problem with the Windows Live Hotmail gadget on my.live.com? The error I'm getting - and seeing a LOT of lately is:

The Windows Live Hotmail service is currently unavailable. Please try again.

Most disheartening as I really like the look and feel of the new my.live.com site - and, being the "VS Dude" that I am, unless this gets fixed soon, I'm going to find myself back in the Gmail camp.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 5:46 AM

Answers

• We've noticed the issue as well and reported to the Hotmail team.  The gadget is working as I type this and I don't have an update as to the cause or whether problems will persist in the future, but we'll continue to engage the Hotmail team as necessary.
    Jason Garza, Program Manager
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:07 PM

All replies

• We've noticed the issue as well and reported to the Hotmail team.  The gadget is working as I type this and I don't have an update as to the cause or whether problems will persist in the future, but we'll continue to engage the Hotmail team as necessary.
    Jason Garza, Program Manager
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Much thanks regarding the notification being sent to the Hotmail team.

I found I could still not see Windows Live Hotmail on my.live.com today and needed to disable/remove Google's IE7 toolbar as well as a browser extension called "Research" (which gives me no clue what it belongs to). After restarting IE7, I now have Hotmail showing up again.

Want further frustration? Now my Cnet News gadget is displaying the same broken message. That same feed works just fine on my iGoogle page! C'mon guys <sigh>.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 9:35 PM
  • VS Dude said:

Much thanks regarding the notification being sent to the Hotmail team.

I found I could still not see Windows Live Hotmail on my.live.com today and needed to disable/remove Google's IE7 toolbar as well as a browser extension called "Research" (which gives me no clue what it belongs to). After restarting IE7, I now have Hotmail showing up again.

Want further frustration? Now my Cnet News gadget is displaying the same broken message. That same feed works just fine on my iGoogle page! C'mon guys <sigh>.

well at least he forward this over (or so he says, never can be too sure with Microsoft)
    Monday, August 11, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Just to document it, after I sign in to my personalized page I'm getting:

The Windows Live Hotmail service is currently unavailable.

Then I click on the Hotmail button and get right in to Hotmail, so Hotmail really is available.  This has been happening for at least one week.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:37 AM
  • I've found that deleting the "@live.com" cookie in your Internet Options settings will fix this. After deletion, hit the refresh button. This will require you to log in again to my.live.com and, when you do, you should find a working mail gadget. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the problem won't resurface - because it will. I haven't figured out what's causing it but it seems when my.live.com does its auto refresh (which is often because I have a lot of gadgets and feeds on my page), one of the refreshes possibly sends a bad cookie. Refreshing the browser window doesn't fix the cookie - deleting it is the only way.

Let me know if that helps or not.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:38 PM