What Happens Next ? OneCare Winding down RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm debating cutting my loses with Onecare and installing MSE on my win xp computer My subscription of Onecare ends in december. Way past the onecare winding down.
    Posted By Mikro
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

• One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010 so nothing will change in terms of supporting One Care for the duration of your subscription. Deciding when to transition to MSE is entirely at your discretion.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:56 PM
  • I did a what the heck and I got xp running MSE
    Posted By Mikro
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:05 PM
  • I suspect quite a few people will switch to MSE before their subscriptions come to an end.

Though I've already got all of my own systems running MSE, I'll be waiting for the official release of the final version before installing it or recommending it to others.  I'm personally willing to accept potential issues with operation and to perform beta testing to help insure the product is working well. However, that isn't something I'd expect most people to be willing to accept or deal with.

For these others I will recommend waiting for the release version, then timing the switch to their own preferences.  For one family member who is planning to purchase a new PC later this year with Windows 7 installed, MSE will be installed immediately on the new PC.  OneCare will be left on the old PC until data has been fully migrated and the old PC is reformatted and given away to someone else.

For another family member's Vista PC, though the subscription is good until April 2010, I will be switching it to MSE as soon as convenient after it releases.

So as Jim mentioned, it's entirely up to each person's own circumstances and willingness to take risk.  Swiching to the current beta version isn't advisable for those who aren't into testing and risking some potential issues with (relatively) unproven software.  But once the final version is released, I'd be surprised if more than a handful of users still have OneCare installed by the beginning of 2010.  Only those who really use things like the backup or hub features are likely to continue using OneCare for long after MSE is available.

Rob
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Well Now I'm testing out 2 flavors of MSE on Win 7 and win xp Home

Posted By Mikro
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:59 PM