Upgrading HDD in the Server Storage Pool? RRS feed

• Question

• I use my WHS soley as a backup device for my PC's on the network (eg no server shares and I do not use any shadow copies).

I would like to add three spare 500GB HDD to my Server Storage pool with my existing two 1TB HDD.  At a later stage can I simply remove these three 500GB drive and replace them with larger capacity drives then rebackup all my PCs? 

Thanks
    Nathan

Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:56 AM

Answers

• jmone said:

I use my WHS soley as a backup device for my PC's on the network (eg no server shares and I do not use any shadow copies).

I would like to add three spare 500GB HDD to my Server Storage pool with my existing two 1TB HDD.  At a later stage can I simply remove these three 500GB drive and replace them with larger capacity drives then rebackup all my PCs? 

Thanks
    Nathan

Hi Nathan,

There are several technical briefs available here. These will probably answer many of the questions you may have about your Windows Home Server.

You can add drives to the storage pool and remove them later. Please be sure to remove the drives using the Windows Home Server console prior to physically removing the drives from your server.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by jmone Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:14 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• jmone said:

I use my WHS soley as a backup device for my PC's on the network (eg no server shares and I do not use any shadow copies).

Thanks
    Nathan

Hi Nathan,

There are several technical briefs available here. These will probably answer many of the questions you may have about your Windows Home Server.

You can add drives to the storage pool and remove them later. Please be sure to remove the drives using the Windows Home Server console prior to physically removing the drives from your server.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by jmone Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:14 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Thanks Lara - I've read some of those (not all) but had different advice elsewhere and did not want to be "sorry" later.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:14 AM
  • As long as you have more then 500 GB of free space (+ approximately 5 % of the sum of total storage pool capacity) you should be able to remove any disk from the storage pool and then replace with a larger disk. If you don't have that much space free you can remove one or more client PC's from the WHS console, then manually run Backup Cleanup from the WHS settings menu to create the amount of free space you need.

Also dependant on the original version of your WHS there may be shadow copies anyway, even if you did not set them yourself. Please check (Open explorer window on your WHS, right click any of the drives listed, Properties, then Shadow Copies Tab. More on WHS shadow copies overhere
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:23 AM