WGA validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• When i just reformated my computer this morning using my HP recovery CDs and about to update the patches for windows, the Windows Update Site stated that "You have encountered an unknown error."  This didn't happened to me before when I reformated my computer a couple months ago.  I currently have Windows Home Edition and my Windows COA is on the side of my HP Pavilion 732c, and the copies of the HP recovery CDs, I had ordered only in September of 2005 from HP themselves.  And here's the results from the diagnostics tool:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-C36MK-JRC6D-QH88B
    Windows Product Key Hash: 1+58ZW18Qh/uvBAFkFBoKDrBwso=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2141382-88712
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom
    Download Center code: CWJ7945
    ID: 980b7879-5874-4269-8aea-4c81a774099e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retireve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>980b7879-5874-4269-8aea-4c81a774099e</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QH88B</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2141382-88712</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-608057341-2382750585-1605616401</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 04</Manufacturer><Model>P9846A-ABA 732C</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>3.05  </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020626******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>HP PAVILION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>EFBC36D701842062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Please tell what to do to get my computer working again and thanks in advance.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:07 PM

Answers

• Dragon, after looking at the diagnostics again it looks like the error you are encountering says that your copy of Windows has not been activated.  Before we can determine if your copy of Windows is genuine you need to activate your copy of Windows. The below instructions indicate how to activate your copy.

How do I activate Windows?

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Windows.

• For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Windows, please see knowledge base article # 307890.

What if I am unable to activate Windows?

If you are unable to activate Windows by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Windows on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?

• If your computer is new, the copy of Windows installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.
      • If Windows was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:
        • The copy of Windows you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.
        • A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Windows incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 4:59 AM

All replies

• HI

test this,  i am not from the Support:

Start>Run, type "oobe/msoobe /a" without the quotes and click OK.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:24 PM
  • It looks like you need to activate your copy of Winodws. After you activate your copy of Windows go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?  and revalidate. If you still have trouble validating try the diagnostic pages http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Sandy Weil
    Program Manager, Genuine Advantage Team

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:27 PM
  • Thanks Sandy, u are good in your Job, but why comes this error, I havent never got this problems after installing...
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:32 PM
  • Pingiun, customers may not have seen this error in the past because the validation check is new. And, every couple of months new checks are added to the validation control to identify non genuine systems. And, additional volume license keys are constantly added to the blocked as Microsoft identifies new ones that leaked.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:38 PM
  • Hi Sandy, I have tried to enter your link however nothing seemed to load when I clicked it besides the sidebars with the menus on the upper left hand side.
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:43 PM
  • Dragon, after looking at the diagnostics again it looks like the error you are encountering says that your copy of Windows has not been activated.  Before we can determine if your copy of Windows is genuine you need to activate your copy of Windows. The below instructions indicate how to activate your copy.

How do I activate Windows?

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Windows.

• For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Windows, please see knowledge base article # 307890.

What if I am unable to activate Windows?

If you are unable to activate Windows by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Windows on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?

• If your computer is new, the copy of Windows installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.
      • If Windows was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:
        • The copy of Windows you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.
        • A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Windows incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 4:59 AM
  • After being frustrated I had reformat my computer with the HP recovery cds again and now my computer works again for some unknown reason.  I downloaded the diagnostics tool again to check if there are any differences and now my Windows product key is now "different" and doesn't match the COA on my system.  Is this something I should worry about?  Here is my "new" results from the diagnostics tool: WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BRVBB-38MQ9-3PMFT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 2V2VyxlfhiaCt/JkDzYQfiNOHMA=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00106
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom
    Download Center code: S75G6D6
    ID: 533ec2bf-2dfb-43a9-ba11-fd74c76237be
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>533ec2bf-2dfb-43a9-ba11-fd74c76237be</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3PMFT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00106</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-954458941-1931507023-2247778763</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 04</Manufacturer><Model>P9846A-ABA 732C</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>3.05  </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020626******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>HP PAVILION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>5DBE360701842062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:52 PM
  • Deagon,

On XP installations from big name computer manufacturers, it is not expected that the Product Key on the Certificate of Auththenticity would match the one used to install XP on the computer.

Big name computer manufacturers use a special process to build their computers.  They prepare a  "master" copy of what is installed on the model of computer you have (the operating system, the other programs, all of the specific HP programs, etc), then they "image" the hard disk of the master computer (think of it as taking an electronic picture), then they copy this image to the thousands and thousands of hard disks that are going to be installed into thousands of computers.  Since they are all a copy of the master installation, they will all have the same Product Key.

The Product Key on the COA is there more as a proof of a valid license that it is there for you to use to install XP on the computer.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 8:29 PM