Two "Computers & Backup" buttons in WHS consoles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a strange issue I hope someone can help me out with. Since I installed the PP2 update, I have two separate "Computers & Backup" buttons in the console of all my PC's with the connector software. I also have 2 "Backup" areas in the settings section of the console. In both cases, each one is fully functional and the only thing I can tell that's any different is the naming convention of the OS for each of my PC's. I run several copies of the Windows 7 beta and in one button, the Win7 PC's are labeled Window 7 as they're supposed to be in PP2 but in the other, the Win7 machines are still labeled as Vista. Also the actual Vista Ultimate machine is called Windows Vista Ultimate in one and Windows Vista(tm) Ultimate in the other. As far as I can tell, its only the updated way the console recognizes the OS that's any different and seems to be what caused this issue. I have tried uninstalling the console then reinstalling it from the WHS, from the CD, even from a new CD from MSDN but I end up with the same thing every time so it appears to originate from the WHS itself.

Anyone see this before or have any idea how to fix it? I would think reinstalling the console software on the WHS itself would be in order but is that even possible? I'm sorry I would include screenshots but I don't think this forum allows that as far as I can tell.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• YAY! Happy to report that I was able to get this fixed. After looking at the files in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server (Thanks for pointing me there!) and some Googling I came across this problem described at this website:

http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com/2008/06/power-pack-1-and-tab-manager.html

"Due to changes in the way the Console in Power Pack 1 loads tabs and the way I hid tabs from the pre-PP1 tab loader, some add-ins may cause Tab Manager to crash on startup as well as see duplicate tabs within the console. "

Even though I don't remember doing so I guess I installed and used an add in called Tab Manager in the past and for whatever uninstalled it. I didn't have any issues apparently until PP2 was installed so I just renamed all of the files with "TabManager" in the name and it cleared the issue right up. I'll give it a week or so and if all still seems fine I'll go in and delete those files.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the assistance. That's why I love this forum!
    • Marked as answer by tripat Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi all, I have a strange issue I hope someone can help me out with. Since I installed the PP2 update, I have two separate "Computers & Backup" buttons in the console of all my PC's with the connector software. I also have 2 "Backup" areas in the settings section of the console. In both cases, each one is fully functional and the only thing I can tell that's any different is the naming convention of the OS for each of my PC's. I run several copies of the Windows 7 beta and in one button, the Win7 PC's are labeled Window 7 as they're supposed to be in PP2 but in the other, the Win7 machines are still labeled as Vista. Also the actual Vista Ultimate machine is called Windows Vista Ultimate in one and Windows Vista(tm) Ultimate in the other. As far as I can tell, its only the updated way the console recognizes the OS that's any different and seems to be what caused this issue. I have tried uninstalling the console then reinstalling it from the WHS, from the CD, even from a new CD from MSDN but I end up with the same thing every time so it appears to originate from the WHS itself.

Anyone see this before or have any idea how to fix it? I would think reinstalling the console software on the WHS itself would be in order but is that even possible? I'm sorry I would include screenshots but I don't think this forum allows that as far as I can tell.
    You can provide links to a picture website (such as flickr).  (Frankly, I'm kinda curious.  I'd like to see a snapshot of it myself. :)  )

As for a possible solution, you could try uninstalling Power Pack 2 (logon to the server desktop, go to Add/Remove Programs, put a checkbox next to Show Updates, then find Power Pack 2 and uninstall it).  Once that's done (and you reboot the server), see if it's still messed up.  If not, try installing Power Pack 2 again and see if it comes back.  If that doesn't work, you might need to do a Server Reinstallation (or file a bug report on Connect).
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:32 AM
  • I didn't think of that but that's a good idea. I'll post some screenies to Flickr tonight and link them here. Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Sounds to me that you have two instances of the Backup Tab installed. Since they indeed look and behave differently I don't think it's a simple case of double registration, but I think you have both the new and the old file installed. Perhaps the PP2 was supposed to delete the old, but somehow it was in use and was not deleted.

The first think I would recommend if you have not already done so is to reboot your home server. If that does not resolve your problem can you post a list of all files called "HomeServerConsoleTab.XXXX.dll" that are located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on your home server. In order to get access to these files you will need to remote desktop into your server. This is not something you should do if you don't know that you are doing.

The "Computers & Backup" tab is actually the file called HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll in PP2. But if you can post a list of the files like I said, perhaps we can find the culprit.

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hey guys thanks for the replies. Per request here are the screenshots of the issue and the files from my WHS...

The 2 buttons:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/3443158824_f4ec6471c9_o.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3443158850_4068bd9969_o.jpg

2 Backup entires in Settings:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/3443158876_7fc418db64_o.jpg

Relevent files in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3376/3443158886_5f41b5b9bf_o.jpg

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:41 PM
  • YAY! Happy to report that I was able to get this fixed. After looking at the files in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server (Thanks for pointing me there!) and some Googling I came across this problem described at this website:

http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com/2008/06/power-pack-1-and-tab-manager.html

"Due to changes in the way the Console in Power Pack 1 loads tabs and the way I hid tabs from the pre-PP1 tab loader, some add-ins may cause Tab Manager to crash on startup as well as see duplicate tabs within the console. "

Even though I don't remember doing so I guess I installed and used an add in called Tab Manager in the past and for whatever uninstalled it. I didn't have any issues apparently until PP2 was installed so I just renamed all of the files with "TabManager" in the name and it cleared the issue right up. I'll give it a week or so and if all still seems fine I'll go in and delete those files.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the assistance. That's why I love this forum!
    • Marked as answer by tripat Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:00 PM