Backup to NAS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home computer with Win XP and an external NAS which does not have any securtiy on the shares.

When I try to backup to it, OneCare asked for a Username and password to connect the the share to continue.

Can you tell me what username it is asking for ((as the NAS and share does not have any security on)

Thanks

Richard

Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:05 PM

Answers

• Please try using the IP address directly instead of name. for eg:\\192.10.22.22\myshare. Otherwise you need to enter the name and ip address at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Friday, August 17, 2007 10:45 AM

All replies

• Is the NAS a Linux device or is the drive formatted NTFS?

-steve

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Thanks for trying OneCare backup.

In case of centralized backup we do not ask user to enter username and password. So you must be configuring the local backup to NAS. We ask username and password if you don't have write permisstion. As Stephen Boots mentioned, please provide the OS. Can you able browse to the shared folder through Windows Explorer and able to create a dummy text file?  

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:49 AM
  •  

the NAS drive is a Buffalo LinkStation, not sure what OS it is using.

I have full RW access to the Share.

I think the problem is that it can't resolve the UNC,  I can ping the IP address but when I try to ping the NAS Name it fails.

How can I get my PC to recognise the NAS UNC?

Richard

Friday, August 17, 2007 8:42 AM
  • Please try using the IP address directly instead of name. for eg:\\192.10.22.22\myshare. Otherwise you need to enter the name and ip address at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Friday, August 17, 2007 10:45 AM
  • I have just added the address to the host file, it now works

Thanks for your help

Richard

Friday, August 17, 2007 11:01 AM
  • That's great news. Now, the question is - why couldn't the UNC resolve?

Good workaround, though, and interesting that it throws a username/pw prompt instead of reporting that it couldn't find the device.

-steve

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Hi All,
    Adding the hostname to the hosts file also resolved a similar problem I was having a few days ago.  

In my case I had entered the backup destination as \\<ip address>\share and the One Care Backup would change that to \\<hostname>\share.  The backup would get through 500MB of the 70GB and then it would complain it could not find the network share anymore.  It is as if it would forget how to resolve the hostname all of a sudden.

This went away once I added the entry to the host file.  Now it works great.  I've got it backing up every night.

My NAS is a DLink DNS-323 which runs linux.  I believe your Bufalo NAS also runs linux, but I am not sure if that is the reason. 

Monday, August 20, 2007 6:28 AM
  • Thanks for adding your experience, CarlosSF.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:21 PM
  • I have the Dlink DNS-323 also. All I did was use "map network drive" and assigned each drive in the DNS to a drive letter and used the drive letter as the backup location.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:48 AM