Can't connect to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,
    I just set up a new WHS with PP1 installed. I'm trying to connect several PC's to the WHM, but I'm having some connection issues. Each PC is set up under its own static IP address, and all are under a network switch. One PC connects fine with no problems what so ever. The other PC's won't even reconize that WHS exist. I've checked seveal times to make sure all the settings are right but can't seem to find anything. I've tried typing in "http://<homeserver>, but it won't see anyting.
    I can ping the IP address from the computers not connecting and get a response, but that's all - it won't see the WHS.

Few more details: all PC's are running XP Pro. Tried running under Admin. All PC's are under the same workgroup & subnet mask. I only have Windows firewall running, and tried disabling it for setup. I did have some Apatche server stuff running on on of the PC's awhile ago, but uninstalled it before trying to connect to WHS - whould that cause any problems? 

Any help is greatly apreciated! So far WHS looks pretty cool and can't wait to start using it!

Mike
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

• Please run

IPCONFIG /ALL

on the PC that connected, the home server, and one of the PCs that's not connecting. Compare the IP addresses, subnet masks, gateway addresses, and DNS servers. Normally, all should match (except the IP addresses which should all be in the same range).

I would recommend using DHCP for all your home PCs if possible, as it will automatically set all PCs to use the same parameters. That would avoid the issue of having one PC work, and another one not.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:27 PM

All replies

• Please run

IPCONFIG /ALL

on the PC that connected, the home server, and one of the PCs that's not connecting. Compare the IP addresses, subnet masks, gateway addresses, and DNS servers. Normally, all should match (except the IP addresses which should all be in the same range).

I would recommend using DHCP for all your home PCs if possible, as it will automatically set all PCs to use the same parameters. That would avoid the issue of having one PC work, and another one not.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:27 PM
  • That seems to work. On the third set of numbers on the ip address was a number off. Fixed that and got them to connect. Thanks a million Ken!
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:52 PM