none
Strange colorization of code snippets RRS feed

• Question

• I see lots of threads with code snippets that contain a random red or blue word.  I'm guessing it has something to do with syntax highlighting.  That feature isn't working well, not even if you select the correct language.  Especially C++ is bad, C# is credible.  Please consider a language choice of "no coloring please" and make it the default.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:12 AM

Answers

• I'm aware of all the complaints, I'm working on a plan to get these things addressed working with people that develop the prettify code. All is not lost, I intend to make some progress on this, I do appreciate people's patience on this. Thanks so far for reporting all the issues.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:56 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• How is it now?

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:00 AM
    Owner
  • Ed, it's bad, really, really bad.  I wish we had the option of no formatting.  Below are 2 screenshots, the first from my Powershell ISE, the second as it was rendered by the "Insert Code" button:

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:04 PM
  • I have seen other issues with code coloring in the code snippit window as well as what ends up in the posts.

If you select VB.NET as your code type when inserting a snippit, for example something like this:

'THIS IS A COMMENT
    Dim myValue as Integer

Both the above lines will show green as if a comment when you "preview" the code before inserting it in a post.

Likewise once you do actually insert it in a post, it does not look like that, but the colors for comments and strings are reversed. Comments show up in a dark red (maroonish color) which is usually the color that strings are in the IDE, and the strings show up the color of comments...

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:18 PM
  • I'm aware of all the complaints, I'm working on a plan to get these things addressed working with people that develop the prettify code. All is not lost, I intend to make some progress on this, I do appreciate people's patience on this. Thanks so far for reporting all the issues.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:56 PM
    Answerer
  • And please, please take away the horizontal scroll bar.  Rather have the code wrap than scroll horizontally.  This makes it almost impossible to read.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:34 PM