Change field Type in CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a field in an Entity in CRM 2011.

When I created the field I created as "Single line of Text " but I want to change it to "Multiple lines of Text".

When I open the field attribute the Type is "greyed" out so I cannot change it.

Anyone know how I can change the Type?

Thanks J.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:41 PM

Answers

• You can't change Attribute types, as that alters the schema of the database.  The best thing to do is to export any data you have in that attribute, create a new attribute of your desired data type, confirm it works as you want, then migrate the old data to it and delete the old Attribute.

This is, of course, fairly easy if there's no data in it, but can be tricky if you do have to retain data.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    • Marked as answer by JMcCon Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:22 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:55 PM

All replies

• You can't change Attribute types, as that alters the schema of the database.  The best thing to do is to export any data you have in that attribute, create a new attribute of your desired data type, confirm it works as you want, then migrate the old data to it and delete the old Attribute.

This is, of course, fairly easy if there's no data in it, but can be tricky if you do have to retain data.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    • Marked as answer by JMcCon Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:22 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Thanks Wayne.

J.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:22 PM