Cannot see WHS in Explorer for file sharing, but I can see it as a media server. RRS feed

• Question

• On the same router as the WHS and 2 other clients, I have one Win 7 (32bit) machine (upgraded from Vista) that doesn't show the Home Server under "Networks" within the Windows file manager/Explorer. I do see the server as a media server and as an 'other device', but not as a file-share on the network. I see other PCs that are sharing files AND the connector software is installed AND I can map a drive letter to it; but I just cannot navigate to it.

Something is missing and I'm at a loss to figure it out.

One other curious thing was that 'name resolution' did not work and initially failed the connector software installation. I had to add the server name and IP address to the HOSTS file under windows/system32/drivers/etc/HOSTS and then the install worked perfectly. I even did a successful backup of the client in question.

Anyone have a clue?

One other tidbit...eventhough this system sees other PCs to browse, it cannot resolve the name when you click on them and suggests that I misspelled them.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:03 PM

Answers

• On the same router as the WHS and 2 other clients, I have one Win 7 (32bit) machine (upgraded from Vista) that doesn't show the Home Server under "Networks" within the Windows file manager/Explorer. I do see the server as a media server and as an 'other device', but not as a file-share on the network. I see other PCs that are sharing files AND the connector software is installed AND I can map a drive letter to it; but I just cannot navigate to it.

If you are unable to see your server in Network Places/Networks from any client (but can see the other clients), it's probably because the workgroup name on the server doesn't match the workgroup name of the clients.  However, everything should work whether the workgroup names match or not (including the shortcut to your server on the desktop that was created when you installed the Connector software on it).

One other curious thing was that 'name resolution' did not work and initially failed the connector software installation. I had to add the server name and IP address to the HOSTS file under windows/system32/drivers/etc/HOSTS and then the install worked perfectly. I even did a successful backup of the client in question.

Anyone have a clue?

One other tidbit...eventhough this system sees other PCs to browse, it cannot resolve the name when you click on them and suggests that I misspelled them.

Thanks

Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

If you are unable to see your server in Network Places/Networks from any client (but can see the other clients), it's probably because the workgroup name on the server doesn't match the workgroup name of the clients.  However, everything should work whether the workgroup names match or not (including the shortcut to your server on the desktop that was created when you installed the Connector software on it).

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:03 AM
  • The workgroup is the same on all the machines. I have a working windows 7 professional system working just fine and I went as far as comparing all the services that are running. Everything seems ok...there must be some button somewhere! But which button is it?

Thanks for helping.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 12:22 AM