Is there any way to see if windows vista ultimate has been activated and or used before.... RRS feed

• Question

• Okay i have just bought windows vista ultimate 64bit and 32bit version of the retail software in retail packaging off of ebay, and before installing the software is there anyway to see if windows vista ultimate has been installed before and or activated already???? Is there any phone numbers i can use or websites to see if this has been activated and or used before.....????

Thanks
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:34 AM

Answers

• Hello reyjking1,

There isn't a procees to do that. The best way is to install Vista and attempt to Activate.

You may want to repost your question in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activation' section http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/threads of the Vista Answers forum, to see if they have any other advice.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:48 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Hi reyjking1,

If you have access to any Vista computer, click the start button and type: Slui 4 and hit enter. Then select your country. It will then show a page that is normally used for Activating by Phone. Write down the phone number for the Activation Call Center and the close that window.

Call the Activation Call Center and ask them to check your product key. Specifically ask a) Is the key Valid and b) Has it ever been Activated.

They should be able to answer those questions, but I'm not 100% positive.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hello reyjking1,

There isn't a procees to do that. The best way is to install Vista and attempt to Activate.

You may want to repost your question in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activation' section http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/threads of the Vista Answers forum, to see if they have any other advice.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:48 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Thanks....but the problem is i dont have my computer built that is going to be using the vista ultimate software.....kinda expensive so thats why i am buying stuff in parts.....i just wanted to see if there was a way to see if it was activated before loading it....and if i see if it was activated i could be able to send the software back.....

Thanks again
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:53 AM
  • Hi reyjking1,

If you have access to any Vista computer, click the start button and type: Slui 4 and hit enter. Then select your country. It will then show a page that is normally used for Activating by Phone. Write down the phone number for the Activation Call Center and the close that window.

Call the Activation Call Center and ask them to check your product key. Specifically ask a) Is the key Valid and b) Has it ever been Activated.

They should be able to answer those questions, but I'm not 100% positive.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:34 PM