Music Playback (Streaming) Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I just recently installed WHS "Vail" on my home server, and have put approximately 200 song tracks on it, as well as a few videos.  When I lot on and try to stream the music over the internet (usually when I am inbetween classes at school) it plays the first 45 seconds or so of the song, then stops playing for 5 or 10 seconds, and then continues playing but it plays moves onto the next song.  It doesn't finish the song it started on.  The laptop that I am trying to stream to is running 64-bit Windows 7.  Haven't tried anything to fix this due to the fact that I am unsure where to start.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:22 PM

All replies

• First, do you have the build that was released last month, or the build released in April? If the latter (April) please install the latest build available from Connect.

Assuming you've got the latest build, you might want to tell us more about your media files (codec, etc.) But if it's the issue I think it is, it's already bugged, and I've been beating Microsoft up about it for weeks. But for the time being, don't use Chrome or Opera. Use Internet Exploder or Firefox/Mozilla and (for Firefox) don't use the beta version, stick with the released version.

There is, unfortunately, a pretty good chance that Microsoft will eventually say "This is an external issue", and close the bug as "won't fix". Which is kind of stupid, since I'm pretty sure the "bug" is in the Silverlight player or the streaming server on the head end rather than the browser (it's just that the combination of Silverlight and browser lets the bug manifest itself), but there's not a lot we can do about it but threaten to hold our collective breath...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I just downloaded the beta last week, so I'm guessing that its the newest one.  I am currently using the IE9 beta as well.  By which cedec my media files are, I'm guessing you're talking about what they are encoded in.  They are mostly mp3, though some are WMA.  And they average about 192kbps, if that would change anything. 

And I've also been having problems with the Silverlight player, because I noticed that you can't minimize it, or else it closes itself for some reason.  There isn't some 3rd party player that we can use, or some way to stream over the internet through Windows Media Player, is there?

Friday, September 24, 2010 12:56 AM