Unable to Download from Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Well, it's as it seems. I cannot download anything from Microsoft.com. Whenever I do, it tells me (on Firefox and Safari), that it cannot connect to the server "download.microsoft.com" and on IE, it says,

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
    To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools , and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

Other options to try:

• Click the refresh.gif (82 bytes) Refresh button, or try again later.
    • If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    • To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options . On the Connections tab, click Settings . The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    • See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
      1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options .
      2. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings .
      3. Select Automatically detect settings , and then click OK .
    • Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    • If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options . On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

I tried everything it tried to tell me to do. I looked at other threads and followed their instructions to the best of my abilities, however to no avail. I would appreciate help because downloading from Microsoft... that might be something I want to do in the future. :]
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Mikey Bowman

Thank you for visiting us.  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing.  Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Mikey Bowman

Thank you for visiting us.  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing.  Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:48 PM
  • See that first link you just posted? I clicked it, and my Firefox said it couldn't connect to the server.
    :(
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Mikey,

Lets try the manual process. First though can you please retry the site above but make IE your default web browser? If not try the below.

Step 1: WGA Manual ActiveX Installation

Click the Start button, then Click Run

Type: iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204  then Click OK

You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”

Choose Open

Once this completes, a window will open showing two files. “LegitCheckControl.dll” and “LegitCheckControl.inf” Leave this window open for now.

Type: system32, then Click OK

(If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click Show Files to allow access to this system directory.)

Drag the “LegitCheckControl.dll” file from the window that was open into the “system32” directory folder. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose Yes, to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, Press Continue, and allow it.)

Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows XP again. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully?

Should you have additional problems please review the knowledge base (KB) article.

KB307890 - How to activate Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890&sd=techh .      

Restart the computer and contact the Microsoft Activation Center to re-activate Windows should you need assistance. Activation and Registration of a Microsoft product can be located at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/en-us . 

The Windows Activation Center can be reached at (888) 571-2048 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time.

Thank you  Mikey :-) 

Stephen

Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Mikey,

Lets try the manual process. First though can you please retry the site above but make IE your default web browser? If not try the below.

Step 1: WGA Manual ActiveX Installation

Type: iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204  then Click OK

You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”

When I put that in the run area space, it opened a page that was exactly the same as the message I posted in the first post. :(
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:16 AM
  • I Also have been following this page, And i have the same problem. This is what i got:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

• Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
    • If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
    • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem as above.  The suggestions produced the same response for me as well.  I had my new computer die, and I'm trying to to get an old Windows XP machine up and running.  I need to update the operating system and .net framework, but I cannot connect to the microsoft server.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:04 PM
  • I also have the same probem
    was this ever solved

Monday, February 1, 2010 10:14 PM