Lost WHS Connector system tray icon and fatal error during uninstal of WHS connector RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with the Windows Home Server Connector software. In this instance, I am running it under Windows XP Pro.

The WHS connector icon (the little, hopefully green, system tray one) has a habit of disappearing when I re-start my client. To try and sort this, I thought I'd unistall and re-install the WHS Connector software. When trying to remove the software I get message 'fatal error on instal' and the software won't unistal. If I then run a repair (rather than remove), the icon will return the next tine I re-start and then I go round the cycle again.

I presume I have a currupt instal of WHS Connector but how do I clear it down to get a clean instal? And is this a problem anyone else has had?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:56 AM

Answers

• You could try to "uninstall manually"

1. Delete the entire "C:\program files\windows home server\" folder 
    2. Do Start, run, type regedit and Hit Enter
    3. Delete the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\" key in the registry. 
    4. Search the registry for windows home server, delete all occurences.
    5. Reboot, run chkdsk /r on all partitions of the client
    6. Try reinstalling the connector from http://yourservername:55000

NOTE: If you make any error when editing the registry you risk messing up your client even further. Before proceeding to step 3 you may choose backup your registry; when in registry editor make sure "this computer" is selected, then from file menu choose export and save the .reg file to a save location.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• You could try to "uninstall manually"

1. Delete the entire "C:\program files\windows home server\" folder 
    2. Do Start, run, type regedit and Hit Enter
    3. Delete the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\" key in the registry. 
    4. Search the registry for windows home server, delete all occurences.
    5. Reboot, run chkdsk /r on all partitions of the client
    6. Try reinstalling the connector from http://yourservername:55000

NOTE: If you make any error when editing the registry you risk messing up your client even further. Before proceeding to step 3 you may choose backup your registry; when in registry editor make sure "this computer" is selected, then from file menu choose export and save the .reg file to a save location.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I had the same problem when trying to uninstall Windows Home Server Connector on two of my machines. One Windows XP Professional and another running Windows XP Home. Both got the same "Fatal error " when trying to remove the program.

It's kind of strange that Microsoft doesn't test their code before deploying it to the rest of the world. Should I really bother to hack the registry to uninstall Microsoft software? If there is a problem, then Microsoft should fix it, not suggest us to fix it ourself.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Crazy, I had the same "fatal error" prompt attempting to uninstall the WHS connector. Had to undertake the manual uninstall but I ran into a situation I had not seen posted anywhere else yet. Some of the files in my Windows Home Server folder were READ ONLY and even granting permission and "applying" that choice to the folder and sub-folders did not grant access to delete. I had to eventually rename the files with "remove" in the names and reboota few times in an attempt to trick Windows XP Pro into getting lost during boot. Many times during attempting to delete the files I was denied access because the files were already in use. I assume that even though I had quit the connector launch, some of the files had been launched during the XP boot.

I was also surprised how many registry entries needed to be deleted. Do searches for Windows Home Server and WHS to find as many as possible.

Disappointed that Microsoft doesn't have a better solution for uninstalling the Connector from a client.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:24 PM