Configuring drives SATA / RAID / USB External / internal drives - a few questions if you please RRS feed

• Question

• Right now I am just playing with the free evaluation version, but here is what I would like to do (if possible).

I have and older gateway computer that would be a great WHS machine except it's a BTX motherboard and the case is very small.  It has 6 internal SATA ports, and I can setup RAID on the system.  However I tried to setup RAID 1 with a pair of 250 GB SATA drives and have a 120 GB drive as the Boot / OS / C: - D: drive.  Everytime I set this up it boots to the RAID 1 pair instead and says that drives capable of hosting WHS were not found.  So, this seems to shoot RAID out for me right now. 

Can I just install it in this manner:  1 internal SATA drive for C / D.  A pair of internal SATA drives (non- raid) for music, photo, etc storage with the duplicate directory feature turned on (hate to do this as it will use up a lot of space, but I guess it's no worse than RAID 1).  And then maybe some external drives connected via USB / Firewire with large drives (1 TB or more) to manage the backups of my other computers (4 others in the house)?  Will this protect all my data ?   I figure if the other computers are backed up on drives that even though they are not RAID / duplicated that is a backup copy + the actual computer that is running.  All my other important data such as music, photos, shared files would be on the WHS server with directory duplication turned on so that should write a copy to 2 different drives and thus giving me a back up as well.

Am I wrong? 

Any other suggestions from the pros? 

I am looking at also putting a SATA card into a computer that is a P4 1.6 Ghz that has 2 internal SATA ports now, and then I could run 6 internal SATA drives instead of running external USB drives.  This "may" allow me to use a pair of SATA's in RAID 1 for the C / D and then 2 other RAID volumes 1 for backups and 1 for music, photos, files.  This way I wouldn't have to run duplicate directory.  However I don't know if that old system and WHS will recognize 3 different RAID volumes, which to boot from and how that will all work.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• Drives setup as raid will not work with WHS, WHS handles drives like raid, with the storage pool and duplication (A sort of software Raid)

The Internal Sata drive for C / D and the pair of internal Sata drives will become one drive, every time you add a drive to WHS it will be added to the storage pool unless stated that you want it to be used for backup. Yes you can add USB/Firewire external drives to WHS and use them for backup. As for the backups on 2 drives I am not too sure about, but I think it should be thats why the file duplication is for.

Any PC at 1ghz Processor, 512mb RAM and 80GB HDD or higher will work. BE careful with Sata Cards as you have to find Windows Server 2003 Drivers in order for them to be recognised. Do not try to install any drives setup as Raid as WHS will not recognise them, instead install the drives seperate and in a non-raid format.

Henry

HMG
    • Marked as answer by BSeery Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:25 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Right now I am just playing with the free evaluation version, but here is what I would like to do (if possible).

I have and older gateway computer that would be a great WHS machine except it's a BTX motherboard and the case is very small.  It has 6 internal SATA ports, and I can setup RAID on the system.  However I tried to setup RAID 1 with a pair of 250 GB SATA drives and have a 120 GB drive as the Boot / OS / C: - D: drive.  Everytime I set this up it boots to the RAID 1 pair instead and says that drives capable of hosting WHS were not found.  So, this seems to shoot RAID out for me right now.

FYI, RAID is unsupported on WHS.

Can I just install it in this manner:  1 internal SATA drive for C / D.  A pair of internal SATA drives (non- raid) for music, photo, etc storage with the duplicate directory feature turned on (hate to do this as it will use up a lot of space, but I guess it's no worse than RAID 1).  And then maybe some external drives connected via USB / Firewire with large drives (1 TB or more) to manage the backups of my other computers (4 others in the house)?

No, you can't specify any drives to hold only the backup database.  You need to add the drives to the storage pool, then WHS will handle using the drives for data storage from the shares as well as the backup database.

Will this protect all my data ?   I figure if the other computers are backed up on drives that even though they are not RAID / duplicated that is a backup copy + the actual computer that is running.  All my other important data such as music, photos, shared files would be on the WHS server with directory duplication turned on so that should write a copy to 2 different drives and thus giving me a back up as well.

Am I wrong? 

Just install it on a single hard drive (either a PATA drive or a SATA drive where the SATA port is configured for IDE/Legacy mode) and use Folder Duplication for all of your shares so that all of the data stored in the shares is protected against a single drive failure.

I am looking at also putting a SATA card into a computer that is a P4 1.6 Ghz that has 2 internal SATA ports now, and then I could run 6 internal SATA drives instead of running external USB drives.  This "may" allow me to use a pair of SATA's in RAID 1 for the C / D and then 2 other RAID volumes 1 for backups and 1 for music, photos, files.  This way I wouldn't have to run duplicate directory.  However I don't know if that old system and WHS will recognize 3 different RAID volumes, which to boot from and how that will all work.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:38 AM

All replies

• Drives setup as raid will not work with WHS, WHS handles drives like raid, with the storage pool and duplication (A sort of software Raid)

The Internal Sata drive for C / D and the pair of internal Sata drives will become one drive, every time you add a drive to WHS it will be added to the storage pool unless stated that you want it to be used for backup. Yes you can add USB/Firewire external drives to WHS and use them for backup. As for the backups on 2 drives I am not too sure about, but I think it should be thats why the file duplication is for.

Any PC at 1ghz Processor, 512mb RAM and 80GB HDD or higher will work. BE careful with Sata Cards as you have to find Windows Server 2003 Drivers in order for them to be recognised. Do not try to install any drives setup as Raid as WHS will not recognise them, instead install the drives seperate and in a non-raid format.

Henry

HMG
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:58 AM

FYI, RAID is unsupported on WHS.

Can I just install it in this manner:  1 internal SATA drive for C / D.  A pair of internal SATA drives (non- raid) for music, photo, etc storage with the duplicate directory feature turned on (hate to do this as it will use up a lot of space, but I guess it's no worse than RAID 1).  And then maybe some external drives connected via USB / Firewire with large drives (1 TB or more) to manage the backups of my other computers (4 others in the house)?

No, you can't specify any drives to hold only the backup database.  You need to add the drives to the storage pool, then WHS will handle using the drives for data storage from the shares as well as the backup database.

Will this protect all my data ?   I figure if the other computers are backed up on drives that even though they are not RAID / duplicated that is a backup copy + the actual computer that is running.  All my other important data such as music, photos, shared files would be on the WHS server with directory duplication turned on so that should write a copy to 2 different drives and thus giving me a back up as well.

Am I wrong? 

Just install it on a single hard drive (either a PATA drive or a SATA drive where the SATA port is configured for IDE/Legacy mode) and use Folder Duplication for all of your shares so that all of the data stored in the shares is protected against a single drive failure.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Thanks for the quick answers.  The fact that WHS doesn't support RAID seems odd, but if it's doing it's own software type of duplication with the duplicate directories I guess that is about the same.  It would be really nice to have the OS drive on a RAID 1 because that seems like the single point of failure in the scenario.  If that goes then all you data about what is stored in WHS goes with it.  I guess I just need to back that up somewhere else.

Thanks again, I will mark this as answered.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answers.  The fact that WHS doesn't support RAID seems odd, but if it's doing it's own software type of duplication with the duplicate directories I guess that is about the same.

The reason it's not supported is because the target audience of the product - the non-technical PC users - wouldn't have any idea what RAID is, much less how to configure it.

It would be really nice to have the OS drive on a RAID 1 because that seems like the single point of failure in the scenario.  If that goes then all you data about what is stored in WHS goes with it.

Not true.  All you would lose would be any non-duplicated data that was stored on the primary drive (and perhaps your backup database).  In your scenario, you just replace the primary drive and do a Server Reinstallation (a special install mode that keeps all of the data on the secondary drives in tact and re-integrates those drives into the storage pool).

I guess I just need to back that up somewhere else.

Backing up/restoring the OS partition is not supported (plus I think you'll find trying to restore from that will be extremely difficult at best).

Thanks again, I will mark this as answered.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:24 PM