Router Recommendation? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have my HP-WHS set up and everything is working except for the remote access.  I've opened the ports but it looks like the MN-700 router I've had for the last 5 years is keeping me from using remote-access.  Can someone recommend a router that is known to work with WHS?
    Monday, December 3, 2007 7:50 PM

Answers

• I've had good results with my D-Link DIR655. It has gigabit ethernet and wireless-N, and the performance is excellent. It has UPnP, but WHS could not configure it automatically. However, the manual port configuration was easy.

Monday, December 3, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Haven't tried any others. There are still some interoperability problems among N boxes from different manufacturers, which will eventually get ironed out with firmware updates, but that hasn't affected the reliability of this router when used at G speed. I've used the D-Link with lots of G machines, and they work fine, so I wouldn't hesitate on that score.

One recommendation, no matter which brand you choose: Look for strong SPI firewall protection within the router, because you will probably find that you can't run software firewalls (other than the Windows built-in) on the client machines without disrupting WHS operations. That's my experience, at least.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:16 PM
  • D-Link DIR-655 works like a champ. The reviews are not wrong.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:21 PM
  • I'll second the D-Link DIR-655.  Very nice and I like the UI on it too, very easy to understand.  I have a Dell 700m with the built in G and it connects up great to it. Also built a cheap computer for my 3 1/2 year old and put the matching pci-e card (DWA-556) wifi card in his and it also works great.

D-links been good about keep up the firmware on the 655 also. I've upgraded mine a few times.  You can save the config so when you upgrade firmware you can reload all your settings.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I also have the DIR 655 and it works great.

Previously I used the WRT 54G and it worked great as well.

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:48 PM
  • I'll third the recommendation for the DIR-655.  It's the best router I've used in years.

The DIR-655 has gigabit ports, but -- like most other consumer routers -- it does not support JUMBO frames.  If you want to use JUMBO frames on your gigabit network to improve throughput, then you need to add another switch like the Netgear GS608.

I run the DIR-655 -> Netgear GS608 -> WHS and all computers with gigabit adapters
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Hi, All,

For most people, the choice of a consumer "internet" router/switch combined with an unmanaged 8-port GB switch is the way to go. Keep your WHS box and gigabit PC's on the GB switch and you can take advantage of the increased speed.  This includes JUMBO frames if the devices can support. 

On the router/switch side, there is no doubt that the DIR-655 is a very capable device.  I have several friends who use it and they are very happy... more for the router/switch features and wired speed than the Wireless N capability.  Frankly, for those on a budget, a wireless N-class device may not be the best cost effective solution short term.   Unless someone absolutely needs the increased wireless throughput and is willing to upgrade the wireless adapters on each PC then an inexpensive  G-class wireless router/switch with an SPI firewall may make more dollar sense.  All comes down to requirements, what you already have in use and, ultimately, your pocketbook.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:15 AM
  • I have been using DIR-655 since 3/07 and agree with above posters.  It is an extremely reliable piece of equipment.  I currently have WHS, Xbox and Xbox360 wired to it and 3 laptops, an iMac, Nintendo Wii and a HP printer wirelessly, all performing flawlessly.  One thing though, even if your client PC/laptops are connecting in G mode with DIR-655, you'll notice increase in transfer rate and range vs. G routers.  In my case, from my previous Linksys router.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:50 AM
  •  

I am using an ASUS WL500g router.

My network uses fixed IP addressing. No problems ...

Don't know if UPnP works (had my port settings configured manually and changed them for WHS).

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:58 PM
  •  magnatizerr wrote:

I'm really interested to read this thread as I'm presently using a Linksys WAG300N and although the wireless connection is excellent, it's causing me a nightmare to set up. I can't seem to get the WHS to work properly with it - doesn't matter what setting I put on it.

So I'm thinking of binning the Linksys and buying a new router - and one that people seem to be sucessfully using for WHS.

As my clients are wireless N, I'm really keen to hear your experience with the DIR-655 and its singal strength?

My setup,

Phone line - Router/Wireless gateway - Netgear - WHS (all clients are wireless)

Cheers

I can only make comparison between my previous router, Linksys WRT54G and my current router, DIR-655.  I wasn't able to get any signal from Linksys router to one of my laptop that was 40 feet away with several walls in between.  With DIR-655, I'm getting between 40 to 50% signal strength.  I'm guessing most n routers probably have better range than any g routers.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:05 AM
  • I use a Microsoft MN-700 - just had to forward the 3 ports manually to my home server.

List of routers can be found in this K-base article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944993/en-us

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:59 AM
  • magnatizerr,

I use a Linksys WRVS4400N Wireless N router which works great with WHS. The range on the wireless side is much better than my old Linksys WAP54G. No surprise there.  Have never seem a range comparison between WRVS440N and DIR-655.

You haven't mentioned where you are having the issue but I experienced problems in the initial install of the WHS Connector on two out of eight PC's on my home network.  Specifically, my kids' two college laptops that the school confgures.  Without getting into the details, they were sensitive to the router DNS addresses being provided by my ISP when connected to the internet. The fix, without changing anything on the PC side was to drop the ISP connection which cleared DNS addresses.  Once that happened, the WHS Connector installed on both without an issue.  I brought back the ISP connection and everything continued to work fine.  Not sure if this would help you. 

Your WAG300N is really a do-it-all device... an adsl modem/router/switch/wireless N client that is not sold in the US so I am not familiar with the box directly.  You may have already thought through this but even if you do give up and want to change out the WAG300N for the DIR-655 you will need to have a seperate ADSL modem since the DIR-655 doesn't provide.  You may also want to take a look at the brand/chipset of wireless adapters you are currently using.  Since Wireless N is still in draft, interoperability between the wireless router and client hardware from different vendors can be problemmatic.  If there is a conflict or you are just happy with the wireless side of the WAG300N, a possible low cost solution would be to replace the ADSL Modem/Switch portion  and use the WAG300N as a WAP if the function is supported.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Many thanks jfbopp

With a little blood sweat and tears, I think I'm nearly there - everything is working well apart from when I try and open the 'connector icon' on any client it reports that the server isn't on? Also, I can't seem to ping the server 'name' either? I'm wondering if I have my DNS addresses set up correctly? - Any help would be appricated!!

When you mentioned that you 'droped the ISP connection', was that as basic as re-booting the router?? or was it more involved? 

Not wanting to highjack the thread - I didn't realise that the Linksys WAG300N wasn't avaiable in the US, shame really as the signal stength is great. My setup to the workstation in my home office (a concrete and metal 'box') is well over 45 meters from the house and uses a Netgear USB adapter (WN121T) to connect with the Linksys. I've not got actual through put figures yet as I'm busy uploading stuff to the server - however the NetGear shows well over half singnal strength with anywhere from 108Mbs to 162Mbs speeds (never dropped out).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 9:46 AM
  •  jfbopp wrote:

magnatizerr,

I use a Linksys WRVS4400N Wireless N router which works great with WHS. The range on the wireless side is much better than my old Linksys WAP54G. No surprise there.  Have never seem a range comparison between WRVS440N and DIR-655.

You haven't mentioned where you are having the issue but I experienced problems in the initial install of the WHS Connector on two out of eight PC's on my home network.  Specifically, my kids' two college laptops that the school confgures.  Without getting into the details, they were sensitive to the router DNS addresses being provided by my ISP when connected to the internet. The fix, without changing anything on the PC side was to drop the ISP connection which cleared DNS addresses.  Once that happened, the WHS Connector installed on both without an issue.  I brought back the ISP connection and everything continued to work fine.  Not sure if this would help you. 

Your WAG300N is really a do-it-all device... an adsl modem/router/switch/wireless N client that is not sold in the US so I am not familiar with the box directly.  You may have already thought through this but even if you do give up and want to change out the WAG300N for the DIR-655 you will need to have a seperate ADSL modem since the DIR-655 doesn't provide.  You may also want to take a look at the brand/chipset of wireless adapters you are currently using.  Since Wireless N is still in draft, interoperability between the wireless router and client hardware from different vendors can be problemmatic.  If there is a conflict or you are just happy with the wireless side of the WAG300N, a possible low cost solution would be to replace the ADSL Modem/Switch portion  and use the WAG300N as a WAP if the function is supported.

There are a couple threads open in the software forums saying they are having problems with the WAG300N.  Not sure if they have done something different or if their DSL companies really are the problem.  I personally use at my home a T1 line to my DIR-655.  My only complaint is that the QoS should be a little easier set option for things such as Xbox Live.

Wireless is strong, completely covers my house and extends to my neighbors... :-) Built in 1GB LAN connection and an easy to configure page. Windows Home Server even port forwards the router automatically.  :-)

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:48 PM

All replies

• I've had good results with my D-Link DIR655. It has gigabit ethernet and wireless-N, and the performance is excellent. It has UPnP, but WHS could not configure it automatically. However, the manual port configuration was easy.

Monday, December 3, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  

Thanks for the D-Link recommend...  Any recomendations on 802.11G routers?  I'm not up on the latest wireless stuff but I've heard that some of the 802.11N routers are a bit rough around the edges.  Still, the Amazon rating for the D-Link 655 is pretty good.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Haven't tried any others. There are still some interoperability problems among N boxes from different manufacturers, which will eventually get ironed out with firmware updates, but that hasn't affected the reliability of this router when used at G speed. I've used the D-Link with lots of G machines, and they work fine, so I wouldn't hesitate on that score.

One recommendation, no matter which brand you choose: Look for strong SPI firewall protection within the router, because you will probably find that you can't run software firewalls (other than the Windows built-in) on the client machines without disrupting WHS operations. That's my experience, at least.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:16 PM
  • D-Link DIR-655 works like a champ. The reviews are not wrong.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:21 PM
  • I'll second the D-Link DIR-655.  Very nice and I like the UI on it too, very easy to understand.  I have a Dell 700m with the built in G and it connects up great to it. Also built a cheap computer for my 3 1/2 year old and put the matching pci-e card (DWA-556) wifi card in his and it also works great.

D-links been good about keep up the firmware on the 655 also. I've upgraded mine a few times.  You can save the config so when you upgrade firmware you can reload all your settings.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I also have the DIR 655 and it works great.

Previously I used the WRT 54G and it worked great as well.

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:48 PM
  • I'll third the recommendation for the DIR-655.  It's the best router I've used in years.

The DIR-655 has gigabit ports, but -- like most other consumer routers -- it does not support JUMBO frames.  If you want to use JUMBO frames on your gigabit network to improve throughput, then you need to add another switch like the Netgear GS608.

I run the DIR-655 -> Netgear GS608 -> WHS and all computers with gigabit adapters
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Hi, All,

For most people, the choice of a consumer "internet" router/switch combined with an unmanaged 8-port GB switch is the way to go. Keep your WHS box and gigabit PC's on the GB switch and you can take advantage of the increased speed.  This includes JUMBO frames if the devices can support. 

On the router/switch side, there is no doubt that the DIR-655 is a very capable device.  I have several friends who use it and they are very happy... more for the router/switch features and wired speed than the Wireless N capability.  Frankly, for those on a budget, a wireless N-class device may not be the best cost effective solution short term.   Unless someone absolutely needs the increased wireless throughput and is willing to upgrade the wireless adapters on each PC then an inexpensive  G-class wireless router/switch with an SPI firewall may make more dollar sense.  All comes down to requirements, what you already have in use and, ultimately, your pocketbook.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:15 AM
  • I have been using DIR-655 since 3/07 and agree with above posters.  It is an extremely reliable piece of equipment.  I currently have WHS, Xbox and Xbox360 wired to it and 3 laptops, an iMac, Nintendo Wii and a HP printer wirelessly, all performing flawlessly.  One thing though, even if your client PC/laptops are connecting in G mode with DIR-655, you'll notice increase in transfer rate and range vs. G routers.  In my case, from my previous Linksys router.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:50 AM
  • I'm really interested to read this thread as I'm presently using a Linksys WAG300N and although the wireless connection is excellent, it's causing me a nightmare to set up. I can't seem to get the WHS to work properly with it - doesn't matter what setting I put on it.

So I'm thinking of binning the Linksys and buying a new router - and one that people seem to be sucessfully using for WHS.

As my clients are wireless N, I'm really keen to hear your experience with the DIR-655 and its singal strength?

My setup,

Cheers

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:41 AM
  •  

I am using an ASUS WL500g router.

My network uses fixed IP addressing. No problems ...

Don't know if UPnP works (had my port settings configured manually and changed them for WHS).

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Looks like the DIR655 is strongly endorsed.  I don't mind manually opening the ports to get it to set up so I'm going to get one.

Is there a list of routers that WHS can automatically configure for those who don't want to touch that kind of thing?  I don't know how big a user-group that will be with a product like WHS but I imagine some less technical people will buy it and want things to be done automatically.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  magnatizerr wrote:

I'm really interested to read this thread as I'm presently using a Linksys WAG300N and although the wireless connection is excellent, it's causing me a nightmare to set up. I can't seem to get the WHS to work properly with it - doesn't matter what setting I put on it.

My setup,

Cheers

I can only make comparison between my previous router, Linksys WRT54G and my current router, DIR-655.  I wasn't able to get any signal from Linksys router to one of my laptop that was 40 feet away with several walls in between.  With DIR-655, I'm getting between 40 to 50% signal strength.  I'm guessing most n routers probably have better range than any g routers.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:05 AM
  • I use a Microsoft MN-700 - just had to forward the 3 ports manually to my home server.

List of routers can be found in this K-base article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944993/en-us

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:59 AM
  • magnatizerr,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Many thanks jfbopp

With a little blood sweat and tears, I think I'm nearly there - everything is working well apart from when I try and open the 'connector icon' on any client it reports that the server isn't on? Also, I can't seem to ping the server 'name' either? I'm wondering if I have my DNS addresses set up correctly? - Any help would be appricated!!

When you mentioned that you 'droped the ISP connection', was that as basic as re-booting the router?? or was it more involved? 

Not wanting to highjack the thread - I didn't realise that the Linksys WAG300N wasn't avaiable in the US, shame really as the signal stength is great. My setup to the workstation in my home office (a concrete and metal 'box') is well over 45 meters from the house and uses a Netgear USB adapter (WN121T) to connect with the Linksys. I've not got actual through put figures yet as I'm busy uploading stuff to the server - however the NetGear shows well over half singnal strength with anywhere from 108Mbs to 162Mbs speeds (never dropped out).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 9:46 AM
  •  jfbopp wrote:

magnatizerr,

There are a couple threads open in the software forums saying they are having problems with the WAG300N.  Not sure if they have done something different or if their DSL companies really are the problem.  I personally use at my home a T1 line to my DIR-655.  My only complaint is that the QoS should be a little easier set option for things such as Xbox Live.

Wireless is strong, completely covers my house and extends to my neighbors... :-) Built in 1GB LAN connection and an easy to configure page. Windows Home Server even port forwards the router automatically.  :-)

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Thanks Joel - I'm really comming up against a dead end with the Linksys.

The clients 'windows server console' just will not open past the password on any client. It makes having 'backups' useless if I'm unable to recover from them!!

I might get a DIR-655 to try and see if it really is the WAG300N.

Cheers anyway

Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:19 PM
  • If you want to "supercharge" the wireless range and wireless throughput on your DIR-655, replace the default antennas with three of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998041
    Friday, December 7, 2007 12:46 AM
  • My network sits behind an old PC (HP, 700MHz PII) running Smoothwall Express 3 as my firewall/router.
    The PCs (among other things) are hung off of a Linksys 24-port 10/100 switch, or a Linksys 8-port Gigabit switch, or a Linksys WRT54G configured to run as an access point.
    The Smoothwall is absolutely rock-solid, easy to do basic setup, and has far more configuration options (should one chose to go there) than pretty much any 'normal' consumer router.

And, WHS remote access 'just works.'  While WHS had issues doing UPnP setup of the Smoothie (but, WHS has UPnP issues with a lot of routers, anyways), manual port forwarding is simple, and works.

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:34 AM
  • I am successfully using the Linksys WRT350N. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:09 AM
  • I have a 655 with the HP media smart and cannot get remote access to work due to the ports not being configured.  Can someone provide me intructions on how to configure the router?

Thnak you.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I use a Netgear WNR854T gigabit router with wireless-N.  Although it works great wirelessly and wired it is not a router I would recommend.  I have already had one go dead on me 9 months after purchase.  I am soon approaching the annv date on the warranty on the RMA replacement machine - so I forsee getting a new router in 2008.  I was thinking about getting a wired gigabit router that can be programmed to provide priority to the WHS, and then use a wireless access point for wireless-N using a different manufacturer.  I think having a router do wired and wireless activities slows the network down (just my opinion).  Can anyone recommend a good wired gigabit router?

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Doug:

Contrary to what some of the posters above say, WHS will correctly configure the Dlink DIR 655 using UPNP.  See my answer to your other post for directions.  The keys are current firmware and enabling UPNP on the router.

Regards,

Merrill

Saturday, December 8, 2007 8:30 PM
  • i have a DIR 665 and it does seam to configure correctly, however verifying you web site is accessible form the internet fails, as does remote access, any ideas?

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:20 AM
  •  ezorb wrote:
    i have a DIR 665 and it does seam to configure correctly, however verifying you web site is accessible form the internet fails, as does remote access, any ideas?

Under Advanced -> Port Forwarding, add the entry:

Home Server
    IP Address of your Home Server
    Ports to Open: TCP 80,443,4125

That will do it.  Many providers block web access to port 80; if that is true of your provider, you can still login using https://yourhomeserver.homeserver.com.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 6:40 AM
  • A few days ago my Remote Access stopped working. My DIR-655 failed the "Verifying that Remote Access is available on your home server". I suspected a problem with the router and uPNP, but I was wrong. The problem went away when I did a Domain Name "Unconfigure" and re-ran the domain setup.

I'm not sure what happened here, as the domain was working fine after the November 27th update, and the problem started a couple of weeks later. The DIR-655 has functioned flawlessy with WHS for months, and uPNP has worked. I have not had to resort to manual port forwarding.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 11:58 AM
  • did you get the wnr854t to work so that you could access the home server over the web from anywhere.  I have tried to get this set up and it keeps telling me that it is not set up.  If you do have it working please let me know the trick.

Ray

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:57 AM
  • I run the Asus WL-500G Premium flashed with DD-WRT and it runs like a champ.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:50 AM
  •  

I use a linksys WRT54G and WHS set it up without issue.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:43 AM
  • Ray:

I had to manually configure port forwarding (443, 80, 4125) unsing "Add custom service", and reserved an IP setting in the LAN IP setup to avoid DHCP changes.  So far so good!  I'm using an HP MediaSmart Server (EX470) with 5 TB of storage and have had no problems to date.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Hi Tangible,

I have the DIR-655 router, I am using a XBOX 360 hardwired to the Vista Premium PC with the Windows Home Server all connected through the DIR-655.  When I try to play the recorded TV through the XBOX it says that my firewall is causing the video not to play.  However, I am using Microsoft Live One Connect with the firewall settings indicating that I have the  XBOX connected.  When I contacted DLink they advised that I needed to place the XBOX on the DMZ.  Any better advisement?  Thanks.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:58 PM
  •  

I just replaced a flaky DLink DI-624 with a LinkSys WRT54GL and all is good again.  No speed demon, but plenty fine for me and one of the most widely used and stable routers available.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:15 PM
  •  

I use Linksys RV4000 gigabit wired router with Netgear GS608 for additional gigabit connections and a Linksys WRT54G set up as WAP for wireless clients.  WHS has no problems configuring the RV4000.  This setup has gigabit and jumbo frames all around.  I recommend turning off flow control on the server and all clients if you use a basic gigabit dumb switch and any 10/100 clients on the network.  Otherwise performance on all clients will drop to 10/100 speeds.  See this http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30212/54/ .

Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:52 PM

•  
    Tuckers_kahuna said:

I am successfully using the Linksys WRT350N. 

Would you please send me the configurations for the WRT350N
    I still have some problems making the WRT350n connect to the Home server
    thanks
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I also highly recommend the 655.  I ran out of ports on and and got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082  . 

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:12 AM
  • I also have the same server.  I had to set my DSL modem to passthough so it would not block in incoming trafic.  When I did that and had my own router handle the traffic the access to the server works great

Raymond Knapp
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:00 PM