Backup doesn't start RRS feed

• Question

• I have install WHS and everything seem aok. The only problem I have is the backup system doesn't start to backup my client computer. The clients are powered on and I can do a "manual" backup. But, WHS doesn't seem to want to automatically backup the clients ? 
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:13 PM

Answers

• langtl said:

There are no errors.. It's a wired connection.  I can access the console just fine.. by manual I mean "backup now" con the connector icon.  System is vista. One machine is 64 and one is 32 bit.. The backup doesn't start on either

The network never went into a unhealthy state due to the missed backup(s)? i.e. no warning on the Windows Home Server console?

How long has your Windows Home Server been setup and at what times are your clients set to be backed up?

Please pull the logs and review them:

The backup logs are available here on the client:

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:

%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

and here on the server:

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

These should contain information regarding why backups are failing.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:48 PM

All replies

• langtl said:

I have install WHS and everything seem aok. The only problem I have is the backup system doesn't start to backup my client computer. The clients are powered on and I can do a "manual" backup. But, WHS doesn't seem to want to automatically backup the clients ? 

What are the errors that you are receiving for all the clients? Are you attempting to backup on a wired or wireless connection?

And when you say manual, how are you starting the manual backup?

Thank you
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:20 PM
  • There are no errors.. It's a wired connection.  I can access the console just fine.. by manual I mean "backup now" con the connector icon.  System is vista. One machine is 64 and one is 32 bit.. The backup doesn't start on either
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Have you tried going through the Configure Backup selection again, on the Computers & Backup page of the Console?
    Also, are the Clients' desktops, or laptops. In general, WHS should either wake or bring out of hibernation, a Client prior to backup. However, if laptops, they need to be on mains power otherwise they won't be backed up.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Yes, I have tried re-configure.  These are desktops that are awake... sleep is not an issue.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:37 PM
  • langtl said:

There are no errors.. It's a wired connection.  I can access the console just fine.. by manual I mean "backup now" con the connector icon.  System is vista. One machine is 64 and one is 32 bit.. The backup doesn't start on either

The network never went into a unhealthy state due to the missed backup(s)? i.e. no warning on the Windows Home Server console?

How long has your Windows Home Server been setup and at what times are your clients set to be backed up?

Please pull the logs and review them:

The backup logs are available here on the client:

XP machine:

Vista machine:

and here on the server:

Server logs:         

These should contain information regarding why backups are failing.

Thank you

Friday, September 26, 2008 7:48 PM
  • OK,

On the backups page of one of the Clients, is there any information shown on the 'details' button?
    Also, is there any entries in either the Client or Server logs - these are located as follows, if you don't have the Toolkit installed:
    Vista:

Server:
    %
    SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

If you don't have the Toolkit installed, it could be worthwhile doing so, (taking note of the install details in it's associated Manual), as it can check the Connector network connections.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Will this was interesting.  I have my backup times as 9:00am to 2:00pm.  WHS actually started the backup, at 12:32pm today !!!  I quess I didn't leave the computer on long enough the last couple of days.  So, it seems it is working.

But, my question would be ?  If the start time for backups is 9:00am, why does it wait until 12:32 to start the backup? I want to setup the time, so they don't conflict with other workloads, but how can one determine the start times ?

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:29 PM
  • langtl said:

Will this was interesting.  I have my backup times as 9:00am to 2:00pm.  WHS actually started the backup, at 12:32pm today !!!  I quess I didn't leave the computer on long enough the last couple of days.  So, it seems it is working.

But, my question would be ?  If the start time for backups is 9:00am, why does it wait until 12:32 to start the backup? I want to setup the time, so they don't conflict with other workloads, but how can one determine the start times ?

There is a technical brief on backup and restore.  This will help explain how backup determines when to start. It will also help you determine how to configure you backup(s) around other tasks.

You can also find other technical briefs here (if you are interested)

Thank you
    Friday, September 26, 2008 10:25 PM