Capacity Planning RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any more guidance\detail on capacity planning other then that given in the Planning Guide?

Currently we have an LCS deployment for about 75k users with 5 FEs

We would like to replace LCS with OCS for basic IM

Plus enable up to 10k for voice. (It would be acceptable to turn of the ability for conf calls)

The design guide would suggest we now need an expanded pool of about 6 FEs, 3 Web, 3 a/v, 2 IIS = 14 which is a huge jump from 5 server for LCS. (Plus this doesn't even take into account the same for DR)

Is there any more design guidance. For example based on the low voice use and no conference use can a consolidated pool be extended beyond 4 Ent FE supporting 30k users to say 6 Ent FE in a consolidated pool?

Thanks for any help.

Alistair

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:35 AM

All replies

• I actually do have similar issue, but we are planning to exclude the whole PBX integration out. All guidelines are speaking of all or nothing plans. E.g. if we take IM only and compare that to LCS. It is very strange that using the HW like today we are still able to support less users with a same amount of HW than on LCS. And the HW when LCS were released....they are not from the same planet.

-Petri-

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:10 PM
  • We are still looking into this and haven't really had a good answer yet.

Microsoft did post up

"How Microsoft IT deployed OCS 2007 White Paper". They gave an example in which they ran 80k users but used two consolidated pools. However they have since pulled this document for a re-write.

If I hear any more I will post it up.

Alistair

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:19 PM
  • 30K users given your criteria, there is no doubt that 4 FEs will be sufficient for your needs.  Even if you had a consolidated topology with 4 FEs with minimal conferencing usage, this would still be sufficient.  And yes, it is easy to scale the pool to meet your needs.

Remember these planning figures are based around concurrent connections.   

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:55 PM
  • Thanks.

I see "How Microsoft IT Deployed Office Communications Server 2007 and Office Communicator 2007" is back up  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc297283.aspx

Document Shows two pools of 5 consoldiated servers for Remond _ I guess this must be a supported config!

Number of users\usage appears to be very similar to the pattern we are looking at.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:59 PM