Windows Home Server 81% problem on restore RRS feed

• Question

• I need help with the 81% problem.   Here’s my setup.

I have WHS (original, not 2011).  Recently rebuilt after random connector problems.  It’s updated with PP3.  I have several clients, mostly WinXP Home and Pro.  All of the backups are completing without error every night.  I can restore nearly any client backup from any of the clients.  (i.e. Client A can access client A, B and C backups, and client B can access client A, B and C backups, client C can access client A, B and C backups). 

However I can not restore any backups from the last 2 weeks from one particular client (client C).  When restoring, it gets to 81% and freezes.  It does this on every client I try to restore it on.  (So neither client A, B or C can restore a recent backup for client C.)  The restoring computer will freeze so hard that it requires a power button reboot.  The WHS seem unaffected by it, allowing another client to log in afterward.

I looked back to see what changed 2 weeks ago on client C.  Interestingly, I put a new larger harder drive on client C.  (I decided to image it using Norton Ghost instead of using WHS restore, because of the connector problems with WHS I mentioned above.)  Client C (with the new HD) picked up right where it left off (as far as WHS was concerned), so WHS associated all of the prior backs with the same client, and started doing incremental backups for it.

Questions: 

Did the HD upgrade break the recent client C backups, and why?  Is it actually noticing/caring that the source HD is not the same for all of the data?

Is there a Fix for this?

Let’s say this (new HD in Client C) is the source of the problem and I want to start fresh with Client C.  How do I tell WHS it is a “new” computer and start a whole new backup series, without trashing all of the old client C backups?

I’d appreciate any help.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:07 PM

All replies

• Did you go through the "configure backups" wizard post -drive upgrade? If not, please do so, and see if that makes any difference.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I beleive so.  I do not recall exaclty, but I think I had to uninstall and re-install the connector software to get Client C with the new HD to talk to the WHS.  I can certainly do it again if you though it would help.

To clarify, Clent C is backing up just fine every night, however I can not restore any of the data it's backing up from any of the clients.

Given that, should I do it again, just to be sure?

Also, do you know a way to start fresh with Client C, without deleting all of the existing Client C backups?

Bob
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:43 PM
  • To "start fresh", I would uninstall the connector, rename the PC, then reinstall the connector. As long as you don't already have 10 clients, you should be able to add it with the new name.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Ken,

That did not work.  WHS is still associating the existing backups with that computer.  Is it tied to the installation key?  Is there another way short of removing the computer from WHS and starting fresh?

Going back to the 81% issue...  Is there no solution for this problems?  Seems like the trail runs cold concerning fixes on all of the web sites.  Did most of the problems go away with PP3, or did MS just move on and quit supporting this?  I mean, it's a backup server and to sudddenly be unable to restore files (when there is no indication of a problem until you attempt to restore) is really just inexcusable.  I mean, at least it could test it for you every night after backing up.  (Maybe that would make a good add-on)

Bob
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:55 PM