So where did shadow copies go? RRS feed

• Question

• My nice new HP server arrived. All configured, files copied over etc.

And I noticed that VSS is off. Now I'm sure during the betas it was on by default (indeed I kept running out of space due to it *sigh*)

So is it now off by default in release? I know it's quite painful; because it's on a per volume basis rather than per share/folder.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

VSS should be 'Off', it will be controlled by WHS itself twice a day.

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:24 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Hi,

Colin

Ah interesting. I assume it's an all or nothing approach; rather than allowing fine tuning? There's not much point in snap shotting ripped music for example.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Yes, I agree; it is an 'All or Nothing' approach, but I guess in a version one product we can expect that. It would be worthwhile going to the Connect sire and suggesting a more granular folder approach.

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:58 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Yes, I agree; it is an 'All or Nothing' approach, but I guess in a version one product we can expect that. It would be worthwhile going to the Connect sire and suggesting a more granular folder approach.

Colin

I did during the beta

I'm in the process of checking everything I submitted and they said was "fixed". Oh dear. Not good Smile

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:
    Yes, I agree; it is an 'All or Nothing' approach, but I guess in a version one product we can expect that. It would be worthwhile going to the Connect sire and suggesting a more granular folder approach.

Colin

The reason WHS Shadows work like that is because WS2K3 Shadows work exactly the same way (volume-based, not share-based).  I don't see that change happening in this version of WHS (maybe v2 if WS2K8 supports it and WHS v2 is written on top of that...)

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Well it's been 36 hours and no sign of a shadow copy having taken place, at least I don't see any versioning information when I browse the shares.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:26 AM
  •  blowdart wrote:
    Well it's been 36 hours and no sign of a shadow copy having taken place, at least I don't see any versioning information when I browse the shares.

I still believe HP accidentally (or intentionally) did something to the WHS code that got rid of that function.  I have seen more than a few people with HP models say they don't have Previous Versions either.  (Is there anyone that has an HP model that Previous Versions do work as intended?  Ken, you have an HP, don't you?)

My suggestion would be to contact HP directly.  Expect them to say something along the lines of "no it doesn't have that functionality" (but obviously the unaltered MS code does).

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:11 AM
  • i spoke to someone from the MSS tech support team about this (as well as other issues) and he told me that it is "very likely" they (HP) took it out - however he had not heard any sort of "official word". He is suposed to get back to me any day now and hopefully he will have a more certain answer, if not i'll just ask again.

Personally i feel that removing it is completely stupid, especially considering that if a file gets deleted from the server(accidentally or intentionally) , the only way to recover it is through previous versions since the server doesnt have a "recycling bin" for server shares (although i think that this has been submitted to connect for v2).

if i hear anything, ill post...

jpearl

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:30 AM
  •  jpearl wrote:

the server doesnt have a "recycling bin" for server shares (although i think that this has been submitted to connect for v2).

I submitted that for V1 *grin*

I'll try to brave HP support this morning and see what happens; if not I know a couple of people who work for their consulting arm, so I'll try that route to get a response.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:49 AM
  • Even if HP disabled it there has to be a way to safely enable it again since it is working fine in the OEM version. Does MS or anyone have any details on how it is implemented in WHS.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Anyone have any updates on this? I would really like to have VSS running again.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:52 AM
  • So I tried calling HP UK support.

They're not organised as yet; the consumer support number say "That's a server". The server support number say "That's a home device".

And no-one will actually answer a question.

I've emailed a couple of people internally at HP (but of course it's Christmas, they're on holiday) to see if someone can kick HP support into line.

But I don't hold out hope for an answer until the new year.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Has anyone come up with an answer for this as I have gone from a home built unit to the HP unit and I really like shadow copies as not only am I use to using them now at work but also at home?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:21 PM