Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate on HP a6152n QuadCore - are DVD drivers good? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate on HP a5152n Intel QuadCore processor.

1. I read the EULA says 2 processors - presumably it doesn't count cores - I am worried that having 4 cores it might think I need a more expensive license.

2. I downloaded and got confirmation email from windowsanytimeupgrade.com from microsoft's website for upgrading - I also downloaded a piece of code from my Digital Locker.

3. I tried to install - 1st time it was a bit flakey I felt reading the DVD - but it got to the end of the install then said that the driver for the Intel network card (on the motherboard) was bad - it was OK with Vista Home Premium and I'd done the latest Windows Upgrades so I did install a new driver from Intel  - after it had Rolled Back the entire installation to the Home Premium.

4. Now it won't install.

5. Help  - I just went back to the Digital Locker and downloaded the file for install under another name - it looks to be starting the install - maybe the downloaded file from the Digital Locker only works once...

6. Let's hope it doesn't roll back the installation this time.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:00 AM

Answers

• Dear Angela,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Windows Vista upgrade. Unfortunately I am unable to assist you with this issue. I recommend you post your question on the Windows Vista Newsgroup.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:19 PM

All replies

• Dear Angela,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Windows Vista upgrade. Unfortunately I am unable to assist you with this issue. I recommend you post your question on the Windows Vista Newsgroup.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Well I did manage an upgrade- on about the 5th try.  This is what I found out:
    1. The CD drive on the a6152n doesn't always read the disk. It reads it if you put it in early and reads it if you wait a while after booting - but if you quickly reboot, logon, throw in the disk it doesn't seem to have the energy to get the drive read fast. So check that your Windows upgrade disk actually has all the files on it - yes you can read them without giving permission!

2. I set the msconfig.exe to have most of the services running - and virtually no startup programs.

3. I removed from the Devices list (found under Control PanelTongue Tiedystem) the AOL device for which a clean boot could not find a driver, a couple of devices that Perfect Image (which I find to be a better tool for cloning partitions than Norton Ghost as it does it from a running drive, rather than a boot disk).

4. I was pretty ruthless with removing drivers - I even disabled the Ethernet card that it complained about.  What I actually think it didn't like was the Intel graphics acceleration - so anything Intel that I could remove I did.

5. Then I changed the monitor driver (I have a Samsung SyncMaster) to PNP Generic Monitor.

6. Actually you can put all your .inf files that you have added from a disk for special devices into the driver store. This is a Windows folder under System32.  You need to read the Windows Help about how to put .inf files into the driver store - I didn't do this - but I bet it solves some driver problems.

7. I also turned off all Norton Internet Security.

8. I disconnected all USB devices - even going so far as to replace my USB keyboard and mouse with PS/2 style ones that came with the machine.  I also disconnected the phone and Ethernet cables.

9. Then I did the upgrade and it worked!

10. This was a pretty ruthless removal of drivers, but seeing that Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade will not install with missing drivers (at least mine didn't - possibly its only essential ones like the monitor) and rolls back without giving you a chance to add them - I wasn't taking any chances.

11. For Microsoft developers - if drivers are missing when Vista installs it would be very nice if you had a program that ran from the disk if necessary that asked you to locate the drivers as an option to rolling back. I had to roll back 4 times before I got it to work.  At least check the drivers before going through the 2 hours of install process before telling you it doesn't work.  The tests that are made by the software do not match what it tries to install - so you can get an OK to install, then find when almost done that some driver fails.  The same software logic should be used to check before installing as used by the install itself.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:16 AM