I need to be able to use IM when out of the office RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I read that Standard edition should do everything that Enterprise does.  The difference is that it will be installed on one box.

So, I installed Standard server.  The problem that I have is that my users (office users only) cannot use IM when they are out of the office.  Firewall is setup correctly, I belive that DNS records are setup too.  Everything I read points me to configure Edge server but I do not have it.  I use Standard Server.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:12 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Igor,

You will need to point the incoming traffic at the Edge server. You should definitely be careful with certificates; it will cause a lot of trouble if you don't do it right.

Your edge server will need a cert that has the fqdn that user's clients are configured to use. If they are connecting to ocs.domain.com, then you need to make sure that you have a cert with that name installed on the edge's external interface (and of course the corresponding external dns entry mapping ocs.domain.com to your edge server's ip). Then you need a cert installed on the inside interface of the edge server (internalservername.domain.com) as well.

The documentation on the MS site is pretty good - there is a doc in the bunch called OCS_EdgeServerDeploy.doc that has a lot of detail on the edge setup. you can find the doc install package here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=760A3FF9-7F82-4A5F-841D-5E528B1DA334&displaylang=en

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Igor,

You still need an Edge Server, even with Standard Edition. Standard Edition consolidates the front-end and back-end into one box, but you still need an edge for external users.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:32 PM
  •  

Thank you for your reply.

With Edge server, should I point all incoming traffic from the firewall to the Edge server or to the Live Communications server?  There might be a confusion with the certificates.  Should I use the same on both servers?  I had a situation when IM gave me an error message saying that I am trying to connect to the server with wrong certificate.

Should I point IM to the Edge for internal and external users?

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:06 PM
  •  

Hi Igor,

You will need to point the incoming traffic at the Edge server. You should definitely be careful with certificates; it will cause a lot of trouble if you don't do it right.

Your edge server will need a cert that has the fqdn that user's clients are configured to use. If they are connecting to ocs.domain.com, then you need to make sure that you have a cert with that name installed on the edge's external interface (and of course the corresponding external dns entry mapping ocs.domain.com to your edge server's ip). Then you need a cert installed on the inside interface of the edge server (internalservername.domain.com) as well.

The documentation on the MS site is pretty good - there is a doc in the bunch called OCS_EdgeServerDeploy.doc that has a lot of detail on the edge setup. you can find the doc install package here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=760A3FF9-7F82-4A5F-841D-5E528B1DA334&displaylang=en

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:26 PM