Backup Options Missing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been unable to find:

• An option to specify the time interval (e.g. midnight to 6am) that backups and cleanups should occur
    • An option to specify how many daily/weekly/monthly backups to retain
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:50 PM

Answers

• The first item didn't make it into this build due to time constraints (the question was raised elsewhere). The second is probably the same.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• The first item didn't make it into this build due to time constraints (the question was raised elsewhere). The second is probably the same.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Ken is right on both counts.

Note that there will be no UI to change when cleanups happen - this is how it was v1 and we don't plan to change that in v2 either.

For the retention policies, you can log on to the server and run BackupController.exe /sg from c:\program files\windows server\bin to set these options for the moment.

Imran.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.

I realize that there is no way to change the day of the week that (automated) cleanups happen in V1 and I'm not surprised that there won't be a way to do so in V2, but is it not the case that in V1, cleanup occurs in the same time interval that backups occur?

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:17 AM
  • There should a scheduled task in task scheduler on the server for cleanups. You could try changing the time.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:31 AM
  • There should a scheduled task in task scheduler on the server for cleanups. You could try changing the time.

Such a task exists; it runs at 11:59 PM every Saturday.

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:37 AM
  • That's correct. However, to be honest, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Backups get queued while cleanup is running. Once cleanup is completed, the backups will proceed as usual. But if you still need to change the time, you can change it via the scheduled task on the server as Bodhi mentioned.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:58 PM