"Personal Antivirus" why OneCare is not stopping the "personal antivirus" a fake software??? RRS feed

• Question

• "Personal Antivirus" why OneCare is not stopping the "personal antivirus" a fake software???
    viju victor
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:39 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Firewall)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

• Personal Antivirus is a particularly nasty piece of malware that has many variants. it would appear that OneCare is not yet effective at preventing or removing all current variants of the malware. Support can help you with removal.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    • Marked as answer by mvvr Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:02 PM

All replies

• Please contact support for help with removing Personal Antivirus. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Marked as answer by JimR1Moderator Friday, August 14, 2009 12:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mvvr Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:20 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Please give me a reason why the OneCare is not stopping the virus "Personal Antivirus" (even though it is a known virus by OneCare).
    viju victor
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Personal Antivirus is a particularly nasty piece of malware that has many variants. it would appear that OneCare is not yet effective at preventing or removing all current variants of the malware. Support can help you with removal.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    • Marked as answer by mvvr Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Thank you Steve.
    viju victor
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Steve - For the last couple of days I've also been getting the Personal Antivirus popup that attempts to impersonate OneCare.  It's very hard to remove from the screen and I usually end up having to use Task Manager to exit IE8.  This is happening on both my XP and Vista computers.  Complete OneCare scans for viruses and spyware don't detect anything, and a registry scan for "Personal Antivirus" doesn't find anything. The URL of this nuisance is [Removed] What do you suggest?  Thanks. - Dave
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:47 PM Removed URL.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:45 PM
  • It would be best to contact support for help with removal of Personal Antivirus. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Steve - For the last couple of days I've also been getting the Personal Antivirus popup that attempts to impersonate OneCare.  It's very hard to remove from the screen and I usually end up having to use Task Manager to exit IE8.  This is happening on both my XP and Vista computers.  Complete OneCare scans for viruses and spyware don't detect anything, and a registry scan for "Personal Antivirus" doesn't find anything. The URL of this nuisance is [Removed] What do you suggest?  Thanks. - Dave

I agree with Jim, Dave. Contact support. PAV is a nasty infection that can take hours to remove. Some strains are almost impossible to remove even manually.
    -steve
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:30 AM