SteadyState GPO to Block URL and IP address? RRS feed

• Question

• I know you can use SteadyState group policy settings to create a white list of allowed websites for Internet Explorer, but can you block access to a specific website by URL and by IP address? 
    If possible, we would like to create a policy that blocks access to a website and does not depend of the user having a specific version of IE since there is a mix of IE6, IE7 and IE8 users.  I believe the Content Rating GPO requires everyone to have the same browser version, so I'm hoping something like SteadyState can do what we need.
    We also cannot use a whitelist because the users need to be able to access hotel  and other WIFI hotspot login web pages so they can register for internet access on the road and there is no way to get all the possible URLs into a whitelist in advance.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:08 AM

Answers

• Hi MyGposts, I consider this cannot be achieved by SteadyState GPO. A suggestion is using startup script to deliever hosts file to the clients so that restricted sites in the file can redirects them to another site, for example your internal domain which explains the site is not allowed. 

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:08 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:47 AM