cannot even get on diagnostic link RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to download anything Microsoft, I cannot even get to the MGA diagnostic link.  Our versions of Windows is legal (came with the Media Center).  Not certain how long this problem has been going on - but sometime. What to do now? We are running Microsoft Windows XP on a HP Media Center 64. (2005).
    At one time we were running Zone Alarm and may have mistakenly disallowed a Microsoft Update - maybe.  That's the only thing we can come up with.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• Kajer,

At this point I would say to reformate your computer. I know this is a lot of work but there are many things going on here and some outside the support scope of WGA. Please back up any and all of your data and perform a complete reinstallation. 

Take care Kajer,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Kajer,

Is Zone Alarm or any other firewall program runnning which may be blocking you from running the MGA Diagnostic Tool? If so please disable "at your own risk" firewalls temp. so you can attempt to run the MGA Tool. Curious what problem are you experiencing with your XP? Are you receivng any error messages indicating your windows may not be genuine?

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    No, we removed Zone Alarm long ago.  Then we had AVG and then removed that and put on Norton about a month ago.  We have no error messages regarding the validity, however, am experiencing all the symptoms I have read about in the forums, namely we cannot download anything Microsoft.  I even attempted to download Explorer 8 from the MSN site and got the same 'bad link' error message.
    I will try to disable the Firewall and download the MGA tool next week.  We are going on vacation and I am afraid to do anything except finish my work this week ;-)
    Thanks for your reply and I will be getting back asap.
    Kajer
    Oh, I also wanted to mention that I cannot upgrade Flash player in the IE7 browser-though Flash 10 shows on the programs list - will not play some new flash movies --repeatedly says it needs to update - though I have done that many times. - (the movies will play in the other browsers -Firefox etc.. )
    I did install Adobe CS4 (except for Flash)  and had to run the Microsoft registries clean-up but that changed nothing with the microsoft situation.
    Thanks again
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Kajer,

At this point I would say to reformate your computer. I know this is a lot of work but there are many things going on here and some outside the support scope of WGA. Please back up any and all of your data and perform a complete reinstallation. 

Take care Kajer,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:59 PM