String ordering difference on cmd line between Windows 10 and version 1803 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum category to post this, if there's somewhere better please let me know!

I've come across some differences in string orderings between windows 10 (enterprise version 10.0.16299) and version 1803, specifically affecting accented characters. Both OS versions had the same system and input locale (en-gb) and time zone (UTC+00:00). Has anyone else encountered this and know whether this is intended or not?

Repro steps:
    * On the command line, create a text file including some accented characters - we used the upper and lowercase a-grave characters (0x00C0 and 0x00E0):
    A
    a
    À
    à
    A'
    a'
    a-
    a-b
    ab
    * Still in the command line, sort the characters in the file (SORT < filename.txt) We saw differing string ordering depending on the OS as follows:

In Windows 10 Enterprise:
    A
    a
    À
    à
    A'
    a'
    a-
    a-b
    ab

In Windows 1803 version:
    A
    a
    A'
    a'
    a-
    À
    à
    a-b
    ab

Specifically, the differences are in the orders of the accented characters.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour or know whether this is intended? Any information is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:15 PM Off-topic
    Monday, July 23, 2018 9:05 AM

All replies

• This is not a forum for end user support.  You need contact MS support for help with system configurations.  This is a  scripting forum and not an OS support forum.

You can also try posting here for general OS issues: http://answers.microsoft.com

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Thanks I will try that.

Do you know if there is an OS support forum? I was pointed towards a Windows 10 support forum by a windows dev, then pointed here by someone on that forum. 

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:10 AM
  • The issue is about an OS utility program (sort.exe).  You can try the "Windows 10 General" forum.  You issue has nothing at all to do with scripting.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:13 AM
  • Awesome, thanks for the help, I shall post there!
    Monday, July 23, 2018 9:14 AM