Opening backups on one of my PC's crashes the Backup Service RRS feed

• Question

• running WHS, with PP3 on an eMachines Celeron, 2gigs memory, 2TB disk.

Problem Description: I have been using the Windows Home Server for the last 2 months backing up six home PCs.  The server was set to auto update itself.  About a week ago when I try to open up a backup set on my primary home PC I am getting the dreaded "WHS Computer Backup is not running, restart WHS, error..."    I narrowed down the problem to my primary home PC running Vista ultimate 32bit edition.  When I try to look at the backup details I get the error.  
    I tried to resolve the problem via the Article ID: 946339 - Last Review: May 14, 2009 - Revision: 3.0
    How to troubleshoot the “Backup service is not running” error message in Windows Home Server.  It did not work.   I read some solutions found on the windows forums and ended up removing the PC from the backup list, repairing the database, cleaning the database, restarting the server then re-adding the PC and backing it up anew.  The daily client PC backsup fine and I see no errors in the client log file but every time I try to look at the details for any of the backups it crashes the backup service.  The other PC's work fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thanks,

Alan

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:48 AM

All replies

• Try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server , then go through another round of repair and cleanup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I forgot to mention it but based on some articles that I read I did that first on both the C: and D: drives and tried to repair and cleanup before I removed the PC from WHS backup.  I was trying not to lose all the original backups I had since it is my main home PC.  I had to bit the bullet to remove the PC and lose the orginial backups.  Chkdsk /f/r takes a while on the 2TB drive, do you think it would still make a difference now?

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:43 AM
  • If you have errors then it will make a difference.   You should run a chkdsk to be sure.

--
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Update:  so the problem gets stranger.   Using the following checkall process did not change anything.

net stop pdl

net stop whsbackup

chkdsk D: /x /r 

chkdsk C: /x /r

for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

I can not open a backup to look at its contents from the console on one particular PC out of 6, unfortunately the one I use the most.   It crashes the backup process and I have to reboot to get it back.  The weird part is that I can restore from these backups using the Restore DVD.  I tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 hoping that would some how help the problem but Windows 7 would not install.  So have 5 attempts and many changes to my PC OS configuration I decided to try to restore to a previous WHS backup and it worked.   It seems a mystery to me why I can not read the backup from the console but the DVD can read it fine.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, is it common scenario when the backups go "bad"?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:20 AM
  • What were the results of the check disk?  If you had errors on your drive it's possible the backup database is damaged and won't repair leaving you the only option to clear it out.
    --
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:04 AM
  • It sounds like the issue is localized to that one PC, not your server. Can you open a backup for that PC on another PC on your network?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Ken per your last question, No, I can not open the backup for this particular PC from another PC on the network with the WHS Console installed.

I have done all the chkdsk checks.

Here's the latest wierdness, after many failed attempts to upgrade inplace from Vista Ultimate (32 bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) I finally bit the bullet, took the pain and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (32).  I changed the name of the computer during the install hoping that WHS would see it as a new computer not related to the Vista OS that I am having trouble with.  I did the windows update deal and got the PC setup with "current" software and drivers.  I then installed WHS connector, set the PC backup configuration, and backed up the PC.   Everything thing looked promising, but alas when I try to open the backup from any of the connected PC it also crashes the backup service. 

My assumption at this point is that I would still be able to recover the PC from the restore disk but have not tried it yet.

I really need to be able to open the backups to recover single files or directories like the other PC's connected to the WHS can do.

Does Microsoft have any other tools to check the backup store?  The repair and cleanup does not help resolve this issue.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:11 AM