hdd spindown RRS feed

• General discussion

• I filed a suggestion in the feedback system:  (i think it's a bug even though it seems to be a missing feature!)

if i'm going to run a server at home i don't expect it to work the same way as professional servers. I'd like it to be quiet, cool and use as little electricity as possible.

I may be missing something, but after my so-far short experience with home server my drives have yet to spin down. I'd take a quieter system with a short delay with each sessions use over a noisy power-sucker anyday...

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:40 PM

All replies

• The drives probably won't spin down. Mine haven't, in almost two weeks. I'd like to improve power consumption as well, but spinning down the drives is probably not the way to do it.

Consider this: the most likely time for a drive to fail is when you spin it up. WHS is supposed to be an "always-on node on the home network" so for reasons of reliability, spinning the drives down for power saving would probably not be the best idea.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:30 PM
  •  alexjlee wrote:

I filed a suggestion in the feedback system:  (i think it's a bug even though it seems to be a missing feature!)

if i'm going to run a server at home i don't expect it to work the same way as professional servers. I'd like it to be quiet, cool and use as little electricity as possible.

I may be missing something, but after my so-far short experience with home server my drives have yet to spin down. I'd take a quieter system with a short delay with each sessions use over a noisy power-sucker anyday...

I agree.  Perhaps the client software can incorporate some kind of WOL that'll kickstart the server from S1 or S3 sleep.  The WOL would be transparent to the user, not a separate WOL client with its own interface that'll confuse users.

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Exactly what I've been thinking lately. I put all my machines in Sleep mode when not using them and so would like to do the same with the server. If they can build-in WOL to wake the server up before running the backups that would be perfect.

Others have said the disks need to be kept spinning by MHS to minimise disk failures, but how many disks these days fail when being spun up? I get 4-8 years out of most disks no trouble. When my backup disks fail I just replace them quickly and then immeditely back up the desktops again.  The chances of a desktop disk failing at the same time as the backup disk fails is not likely. 

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Assuming drives do indeed tend to fail when spinning up, do they fail *because* they were spinning up or did they fail due to wear and tear from running continuously for the previous 6 months?

I seem to remember consumer level drives (read not SCSI/FC) were not designed for continuous operation. Can anyone confirm this was/is the case?
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:15 AM
  •  alexjlee wrote:

I filed a suggestion in the feedback system: (i think it's a bug even though it seems to be a missing feature!)

Good suggestion.

Also, it will extend the life of the HDD, as many top hardware raid controller do.

My best.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:36 PM
  • You can access the power settings from the Control Panel on the server. I've set my drives to spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity and I can confirm it is working with no problems. It's probably not something that needs to be in the WHS applet though - its not going to be used too often.

Monday, June 25, 2007 2:24 AM