Ethernet card RRS feed

• Question

• Having tried to negotiate my way through Dell's website to just manage to send an email to technical support/ sales queries, I wondered whether someone on GHFA can help..
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop and wish to install a network card to take advantage of wireless internet in my office. Where can I find out which one would be compatible with my current laptop model?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 11:05 AM

Answers

• f you do not know this, you probably need someone to install it for you.
    The starting point is...
    1. do you have one already? What is it?
    Common sense...
    2. if not, have you tried going to a computer shop with laptop and asked to buy a suitable device?

tediously...
    3. your laptop has USB ports. You could use a USB based adaptor.
    4. your laptop almost certainly has a pcmcia port, or possibly 2, and/or compatibility with cardbus adaptors. since these adaptors, pcmcia and cardbus, are more nearly internal once fitted, and this might suit you better, ask a shop which card would work for you.

Additionally,
    5. Have you scanned the Dell website to see whether your laptop battery has been subject to a recall due to faulty manufacture? Worth looking there, since many have been recalled. you could just search "battery recall inspiron 8500" on google.

PS. you might want to find out what network hardware you are trying to connect to... make and model...so that you can tell whichever shop you attend when purchasing a wireless card, in case of incompatibility, after the event you can return the card saying that it was incompatible with the hardware and get it swapped. Else, any card you buy ought to be compatible with both wireless b & g standards for maximum happiness wherever you travel.

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:19 PM

All replies

• Use any wireless lan with USB. You will get it from any computer shop.

Friday, February 16, 2007 1:14 PM
  • f you do not know this, you probably need someone to install it for you.
    The starting point is...
    1. do you have one already? What is it?
    Common sense...
    2. if not, have you tried going to a computer shop with laptop and asked to buy a suitable device?

tediously...
    3. your laptop has USB ports. You could use a USB based adaptor.
    4. your laptop almost certainly has a pcmcia port, or possibly 2, and/or compatibility with cardbus adaptors. since these adaptors, pcmcia and cardbus, are more nearly internal once fitted, and this might suit you better, ask a shop which card would work for you.

Additionally,
    5. Have you scanned the Dell website to see whether your laptop battery has been subject to a recall due to faulty manufacture? Worth looking there, since many have been recalled. you could just search "battery recall inspiron 8500" on google.

PS. you might want to find out what network hardware you are trying to connect to... make and model...so that you can tell whichever shop you attend when purchasing a wireless card, in case of incompatibility, after the event you can return the card saying that it was incompatible with the hardware and get it swapped. Else, any card you buy ought to be compatible with both wireless b & g standards for maximum happiness wherever you travel.

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:19 PM
  • yaar plug in any PCMCIA card for wifi and ur done with
    Friday, February 16, 2007 4:27 PM