CRM 3.0 AD changing and SQL separation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've a couple of questions about CRM 3.0 and need some directions or any experience from you will be appreciated:

# I have to rejoin my current CRM server to the new AD with new server name (ex.: currently, I've XYZ01 server with CRM 3.0 and joined to AD01. In the future, I have to rename the server to XYZ02 and rejoin it to AD02)

# Right now, my CRM 3.0 has its front-end and SQL back-end in the same server and I want to separate these for performance purposes (ex.: XYZ02 remain for front-end, DB02 will be hosting SQL 2005 and both will be in AD02 domain)

My first though was, it's a simple task:

# Back up everything in SQL and restore those in the new server

# Rename my current CRM server, join it to the new domain and somehow redirect it to connect the new database server

Although, it might looks like a simple task, I think there're many obstacle stand in my way such as:

# Where can i tell CRM to connect to another database server (registry, config file or somewhere else)?

# What about its roles and its security settings (do I have to recreate these in the new AD)?

# What about my custom development (there aren't many)?

Thank in advance,

Hung

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:55 AM

Answers

•  

I think the simplest solution for you (when you are ready to make the change) is to:

• make sure you have a SQL Server backup of the CRM database before you change things.
    • set up your new SQL Server in the new domain
    • restore the CRM database to the new SQL Server
    • install on any server in the new domain, the CRM redeployment tool (it is on your CRM server CD)
    • run the redeployment tool - this reconnects CRM users in the database with the new AD user accounts in your new domain
    • (If you want to keep the existing CRM server then after having backed up the CRM database I would uninstall CRM from the server and them join it to the new domain before the next step)
    • Install CRM on your new server in your new domain and during installation select connect to existing database and choose the database you restored to your new server

The CRM and SQL servers must be in the same domain.

This will preserve all customizations and roles and data

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:04 PM

All replies

•  

I think the simplest solution for you (when you are ready to make the change) is to:

• make sure you have a SQL Server backup of the CRM database before you change things.
    • set up your new SQL Server in the new domain
    • restore the CRM database to the new SQL Server
    • install on any server in the new domain, the CRM redeployment tool (it is on your CRM server CD)
    • run the redeployment tool - this reconnects CRM users in the database with the new AD user accounts in your new domain
    • (If you want to keep the existing CRM server then after having backed up the CRM database I would uninstall CRM from the server and them join it to the new domain before the next step)
    • Install CRM on your new server in your new domain and during installation select connect to existing database and choose the database you restored to your new server

The CRM and SQL servers must be in the same domain.

This will preserve all customizations and roles and data

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

I think you gave me a very promising tip :-) I've just read some starter pages of redeploying tools documentation and got some clues about this process:

+ step 01: Export CRM OU by using "User Data Export Wizard"

+ step 02: Back up all CRM databases (certainly, after stopping every related services)

+ step 03: Recreate CRM users in the new AD

+ step 04: Restoring CRM databases

+ step 05: Map original CRM users to those users I create in step 03 by using "Redeployment Wizzard"

+ step 06: Installing new CRM and connect to the restored database

I saw no mention about ex.: callout or javascript extension in the document, but it's the least problem, right now. I'll do it with our INT environment first and... it should work :-)

Thank you,

Hung

Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:52 PM
  • The solution above will work if I have new server for CRM, but what if I don't? If I still have to use the old one (rename it and rejoin it to another AD), what should I do??

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:11 PM