Is Windows Live One Care Worth the money RRS feed

• Question

• I need a magic wand.  If I pay the money for Windows Live One Care will it fix my many issues without me having to spend a lifetime not knowing what I am doing, understandable, when I am getting pages of instructions, and quite frankly this tech stuff I hate with a passion.  Meanwhile, I have a bad buzz volume issue, and 2, window live one care's trial never accomplished an update. and  then directed me here there and everywhere to resolve these issues.  And I am not a Techi, I just want these issues addressed.  and finally, I accidentally back-up my c drive onto my restore drive that is now jammed packed.  Like I said, I am not a Techi and don't want to be one.  I am required to have a workable computer in order to eat and live one step from poverty.  Isn't their a magic wand out there and just how much does this cost.  Have XP Media, and One Care won't do much because of the MS Office issues etc.  I'm tired and am willing to pay to end these nightmares but am tired of purchasing only to find out later that I doesn't do anything for me, just instructs me to follow page after page of instructions.  I guess what would be relevent is the fact that Windows XP's updating issues have been a miserable failure only to leave us holding the bag.  I don't want to deal with any of these issues, how much is this going to cost me.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:59 AM

Answers

• OneCare is no longer available for sale. 

You cannot activate a new subscription any longer.

See this post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c
    I can assure you that if the OneCare trial didn't resolve any of the issues you are facing, purchasing it wouldn't change anything as the trial was a fully functional version with no restrictions other that an expiration of functionality.
    I recommend that you contact your PC vendor for support or seek help from a local tech to look at the PC for you.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:53 PM

All replies

• OneCare is no longer available for sale. 

You cannot activate a new subscription any longer.

See this post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c
    I can assure you that if the OneCare trial didn't resolve any of the issues you are facing, purchasing it wouldn't change anything as the trial was a fully functional version with no restrictions other that an expiration of functionality.
    I recommend that you contact your PC vendor for support or seek help from a local tech to look at the PC for you.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Though I agree with everything Steve has already stated, I'll just add that if you are going to have to pay someone to reinstall your operating system anyway, it might be worth taking the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 at the same time.  This would of course depend on whether the PC is new enough that it is capable of supporting Windows 7, but it might help to simplify things in the future since it automates many of the things like updating that appear to have become problems for you.

There is no 'silver bullet' and nothing will completely replace the help of a good technical support person, but Windows 7 combined with the new free Microsoft Security Essentials anti-malware is much more secure and easier to manage than that old Windows XP ever will be.

Since the time spent to back up any important data, wipe out the old operating system and reinstall a replacement will be similar, you might as well try to get something better in the end.  Just make sure you have all of the installation media and license information for any important software like Office before starting the process, since all of this will be wiped out too.  A good local technician should be able to help guide you through this entire process and may charge less for the time if they can also sell you the Windows 7 Upgrade as part of the package.

Rob
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:16 PM