CAN'T SEE SATA DRIVES on WHS install on Dell Dimension 8400 RRS feed

• Question

• Question...

I am running WHS on a Dell Dimension 8400, 2.5gigs RAM, and a 250-gig IDE drive...  

I also have two 1-TB SATA drives (Samsung HD103UJ model) -- These are intended to mirror each other

When I look at the BIOS, it detects (and identifies) both the Samsung drives, and the IDE drive (and DVD ROM)

Installing WHS, all three drives appear, and I select to install on the IDE drive.   Last step - it warns me that it will erase all data on all listed drives (which include the Samsungs) and then hit accept...

WHS installs.

But... It doesn't see the two SAMSUNG drives.  

Any ideas or suggestions?    Are there any drivers I need to install?  I tried updating the chipset with the download from Dell.  

Thanks

Friday, November 7, 2008 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    either you change the settings for the SATA controller in the Bios to run in IDE compatibility mode, or you have to install the proper SATA drivers if the controller is running in AHCI mode. In case "mirror each other" means you try to use RAID (which requires again different drivers), then you should be aware, that RAID is not supported in Windows Home Server. Also folder duplication is often more efficient, than any RAID configuration could be, since it only mirrors the folders with critical files (for which you have enabled duplication) besides the client backups.
    Please read the following thread, where the WHS team explains, why RAID is not supported in WHS:
    http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/08/11/why-raid-is-not-a-consumer-technology.aspx
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    either you change the settings for the SATA controller in the Bios to run in IDE compatibility mode, or you have to install the proper SATA drivers if the controller is running in AHCI mode. In case "mirror each other" means you try to use RAID (which requires again different drivers), then you should be aware, that RAID is not supported in Windows Home Server. Also folder duplication is often more efficient, than any RAID configuration could be, since it only mirrors the folders with critical files (for which you have enabled duplication) besides the client backups.
    Please read the following thread, where the WHS team explains, why RAID is not supported in WHS:
    http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/08/11/why-raid-is-not-a-consumer-technology.aspx
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Why do you say that the drives aren't seen? If Windows Home Server installed correctly, you will see (in Windows Explorer on your server) a C: partition and a D: partition, but additional drives will not be assigned drive letters and therefore won't be visible. This is normal. In the Windows Home Server Console, you should see all your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I think the problem here is the Dimension 8400. Dell didn't release any windows drivers except for Windows XP. I'm having a similar problem trying to install. Setup detects the sata drives, however once it gets to the second portion of the install it blue screens.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Looks like I fixed my issue. Went into bios and set the SATA drives to "RAID autodetect / ATA" instead of "RAID Autodetect / AHCI".
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:08 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with my Dell Dimension 8400, but changing to "RAID autodetect/ATA" didn't help.  No matter what I've tried my SATA drive isn't seen from WHS.  It shows up in bios and the bios hard drive check shows it passes.  It's nowhere to be found inside WHS, however.

I first tried to install to the SATA drive, but got the blue screen just like BustOut. 
    I thought maybe the problem was just booting from the SATA drive, so I added a 300 GB maxtor IDE drive as the boot drive, but after installation the SATA drive is nowhere to be seen (and the SATA drive, a 1.5 TB Seagate, is necessary to back up my network).
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Does your Dell have the latest Bios?
    Did you try another SATA port/cable?
    Is it listed in disk management console, if you log in locally on your server?
    In this case the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool may help.
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:48 AM
  • You need to download the sata drivers from the dell site - This is a floopy disk image... Then, on the first reboot of WHS install you can press F6 on the reboot and add the SATA drivers.  You need a floppy drive for this!!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:46 AM
  • There is a step by step guide for this at:
    http://mswhs.com/2010/02/13/setting-up-whs-with-alternative-disk-drivers/

Cheers,
    Al

p.s. written by me (shamless plug)
    --
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:27 AM