What's the Advantage? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't see any, except that hopefully I won't be spammed any more to run and install that "Genuine Advantage" package.

The whole bonus stuff is just more spam

(14 days for free, but please tell us how we get your money right now ;)

That is no bonus, that's one of the disadvantages of modern life.
    Nowadays you get for free
    - a printer requiring expensive ink
    - a mobile phone (with a 2year contract)
    - your first shot of any drug 

I'M NOT AMUSED !

The main disadvantage is that if there should be any problem between Microsoft and the vendor of my computer (supplying windows with the machine) I'm on the loser side anyway and can just decide to fight either Microsoft or my Computer Vendor. Both will answer "Thank you for calling our support. Unfortunately ..."

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I have no problem paying for genuine software that I use.  I also understand that Microsoft and its vendors lose profits to piracy.  However, am I the only one to think that this Windows "Genuine Advantage" notification is an obscene intrusion?

What laws and regulations govern the way Microsoft or it employees (or future owners etc.) secretly send and receive information from our legitimately purchased software?  What controls are placed on them?  Where is the transparency and accountability?  Can Micorsoft install software into its central mainframes so that I can observe that it is not misusing this "Genuine Advantage".

I dont believe that "peace of mind" that I am using a genuine Microsoft product is enough of an advantage to allow what effectively amounts to spyware.  It is also an irritation that there is constantly an uninstalled update sitting on my desktop.

I have therefore not elected to install this software on my Windows XP that is entirely genuine and has all the usual flaws I have come to expect from Windows (I think I just gave away the fact that i run it on a Mac).  Does that mean I will no longer be eligible for future updates?  i.e. Is this a form of commercial blackmail where I can't have what I rightly paid for because I object to the increasing invasion of privacy of the citizenry?

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Where is the transparency and accountability?

I agree. Microsoft is being very dodgy with the way they are going about this.
    There is still no clear benefit to installing this, and if there is, they are not publicizing it very well.
    I suspect that most users just breezed through the update without a second thought as if it were any other update, but this one gave me serious pause.

I dont believe that "peace of mind" that I am using a genuine Microsoft product is enough of an advantage to allow what effectively amounts to spyware.

I agree again! Peace of mind for whom? Microsoft or me? I might feel better if they weren't acting as if they had something to hide and would just come out with it.

Edit: Also, the fact that you cannot uninstall it is a big red flag for me.

Friday, April 27, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Please see this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1211978&SiteID=25 for a good discussion of this topic.

Best regards,

Jenifer

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:56 PM