Military Appreciation Version RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a copy of Office 2003 basic from the exchange facility in Groton, Ct.  It is the Military Appreciation version. 

I am getting the following error when I run the validation program. "the product key used to install Office has been identified by Microsoft as a false key associated with counterfiet copies of Office"  The error code is 0X8018108

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program with the same results.

I doubt if the Navy exchange facility would be selling counterfiet software.

Any ideas?

Thanks Much

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:58 PM

Answers

• Print a copy of the report, take it to the seller and insist on a full refund.
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:14 PM
  • Hi 777:

Could you help us out with some details?

I'll need you to submit a service request here (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&) so I can contact you directly about this issue. We can follow up directly with your retailer (Navy Exchange Service?) and get to the bottom of this.

I would agree, I don't believe that the US Navy would be distributing this =). We will definitely investigate.

Thanks for your time!

-phil

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:34 PM
  • This is an update to my initial post.

Further reading of this thread indicated that other people were having the same problem.

Several were instructed to:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\data and delete the data.dat file, then reboot.

I tried it, went to the validation page and am not receiving a validation error anymore.  I was able to download the add-in I was trying to get.

All seems well

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:33 PM

All replies

• Print a copy of the report, take it to the seller and insist on a full refund.
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:14 PM
  • Hi 777:

Could you help us out with some details?

I'll need you to submit a service request here (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&) so I can contact you directly about this issue. We can follow up directly with your retailer (Navy Exchange Service?) and get to the bottom of this.

I would agree, I don't believe that the US Navy would be distributing this =). We will definitely investigate.

Thanks for your time!

-phil

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:34 PM
  • This is an update to my initial post.

Further reading of this thread indicated that other people were having the same problem.

Several were instructed to:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\data and delete the data.dat file, then reboot.

I tried it, went to the validation page and am not receiving a validation error anymore.  I was able to download the add-in I was trying to get.

All seems well

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:33 PM