none
How does the ".net" environment benefit programmers and consumers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm a computing student who has just commenced studies with Visual Basic.net.
    Part of our assignment is to meet here some of the top programmers and ask "how does the .net environment benefit programmers and consumers"
    Appreciate any answers you can give me - many thanks.

Have a great day!
    Cheers, Amanda

Friday, April 5, 2013 4:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the wonderful world of programming.

First off, the .NET environment allows developers who specialize in different languages to work together. You could write part of a program in VB and I could write another part in C#.  Both parts will work together.

The .NET environment is very rich. There are thousands of classes represented in the framework. I remember teaching a VB class several years ago (2005.) One student was bragging that he had written the infrastructure to allow users to easily log in to web pages, save profile information, etc. What he did not realize is that all of this "plumbing (or infrastructure) related code was built in to the framework." Since there are so many of the infrastructure related bits of code in the framework, you as the developer can stop worrying about that and focus on the business problem that you are trying to solve.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Amanda_jkz Friday, April 5, 2013 9:43 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the wonderful world of programming.

First off, the .NET environment allows developers who specialize in different languages to work together. You could write part of a program in VB and I could write another part in C#.  Both parts will work together.

The .NET environment is very rich. There are thousands of classes represented in the framework. I remember teaching a VB class several years ago (2005.) One student was bragging that he had written the infrastructure to allow users to easily log in to web pages, save profile information, etc. What he did not realize is that all of this "plumbing (or infrastructure) related code was built in to the framework." Since there are so many of the infrastructure related bits of code in the framework, you as the developer can stop worrying about that and focus on the business problem that you are trying to solve.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Amanda_jkz Friday, April 5, 2013 9:43 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank-you kindly for the reply - appreciate it!
    Cheers, Amanda

Friday, April 5, 2013 9:43 PM